JOHNS-MANVILLE WHEEL GEAR 4341 ( 64T 9P)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: JOHNS-MANVILLE WHEEL GEAR 4341 ( 64T 9P)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Seems that our good friends at Harley Davidson used exactly the same threads and cap nuts on their late 50's big twin gear box speedo drive unit 1:1 ratio as did Johns-Manville on their 13-16 speedo heads.

I have the wheel gear in place ( 64T 9P JM - 4341)
and using the Harley Davidson drive unit and a good covered Bowden cable should be good to go EXCEPT for one thing, what size is the fibre gear to suit it?
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:49 am:

David, The number of teeth on the pinion gear depends on the diameter of the tire. If the diameter is 28", then 18 teeth, 30" = 17 teeth. I hope this helps. Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Excellent answer, OK who as the 17 tooth fibre gears.
Thanks Russ.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

OOOps, what did Russ just say, l think l thought before l checked.
Do you mean physically measuring the wheel, tread to tread to get the right size or will my 24" 30 x 3 tire be the right number.....measured ..... equals 30' ..... perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Thanks Layden, look forward to that.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:20 am:

David,
You need to physically measure the diameter of the tire to determine the proper pinion gear. Please keep in mind that the J-M formula is different from the Stewart, where the road gear determines the correct speed, not like the J-M/Jones units where the PINION gear determines the speed. I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Thanks Russ.
thank helps clear up those Stewart/others differences.
Cheers
David.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration