Not Done Yet, But First Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Not Done Yet, But First Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Another T survives. I still have a lot of odds and ends to do. The biggest is, restoration of the top assembly, rims, lights, and finish polishing and clean up of paint. I've put three miles on it, and everything seems okay. Now that good weather is here it goes on the back burner as I have some major building repair that I have put off and we have to finalize the 2016 MTFCI Tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:04 am:

Super Nice :-)
Doesn't look like it needs any more polishing - it shines like new! A 1924?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Yes Roger, it's a 24. The touring body was dug out of a field in Kansas. The dirt line on it was about a third of the way up on the body, but had no rust out. Out in the daylight a few spots need some more buffing. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Thank goodness another one was saved! Looks great Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Dan, That is amazing! Do you have a "before" photo of your car submerged in the dirt? Great job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Sweet !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Looks great! Single stage paint or paint with clear coat, just wondering. Good to hear that it wasn't rotted and rusted out after being in the dirt for many years.
Love to hear stories of T's coming alive again after being buried, found on the back 40 under the brush and that sort of thing!

I have to ask if it was a body only find or frame and body.

The 21 I found was a pretty much complete body rusted out and wood long gone with no frame that was left in the woods.

Again yours looks nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 10:35 am:

You do really nice clean work. _The car looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Hey Dad. It looks great. Thanks for saving another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Really a nice looking car. I would like to see a before PIC.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Mike and Tim, I bought the body at Hershey ,it was just the body. I messed up my back right before Hershey but wasn't going to miss it. I was able to walk only 6 aisles and found the body in one of them. I offered the guy a lot less than what he was asking for it, as I didn't know how I would get it in the Motor-home. I drove the Motor-home to where it was and tore the rotted wood out of it, and was able to put the pieces inside. The pictures are after I got it home and cleaned it up.

John, It is single stage.

The last picture is a 24 Sedan that was cut up into a Farm Truck. That is where the engine, chassis and drive line came from.

Thanks for your positive comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Dan, it looks more like a '25 model built in 1924 to me, with the fenders, and spare tire carrier with the new style '25 license plate assembly. Only you could do such a fine job. Well done! Is it the wide cowl body, or is it still wood up front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Larry, It's the 24 body with the wood. The sedan had a late 24 engine number so with the way Ford worked I figured I could use the 25 parts and could get away with it as they did. The right fender and tire carrier are N.O.S. The left was a very good used. The rear fenders splash aprons and running boards are also N.O.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Dan, WOW really nice work. Incredibly nice paint. Did you do the paint work yourself? It as amazing when people have time, talent and funds to save a old car from certain death. Really Great and thats what the old car hobby is about for me. Preserving these old cars for the next owners. None of us will be here for ever but your T will always be someones pride and joy!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Thanks Tim, yes I did the paint work. I do everything but any machine work. I use to have a body shop and taught auto body at a trade school. Anyone can get the same results if they want to spend the time. Not counting body work itself the paint job is not that critical, it's the wet sanding, buffing and polishing that give you the final results and that takes a lot of time. I use System One, but there are other similar products out there. I was probably crazy to do this car, but the story behind the body and the 24 touring being my favorite T hooked me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Dan, how much did your young "helper" do on the car? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Mark, It's hard to say how much the boy did. One thing he sure slowed down the restoration (helping me). He did a lot on the chassis. When he was two years old (he's now 4) he bolted in the front and rear end. Of course I had to set it up, but he screwed on the nuts and tightened them. Of course I made sure they were tight enough. He attempted to put the engine in with the chain falls, but he didn't weigh enough to pull the engine up. He tightened the bolts once we got the engine in. He loves grease, so greased everything he could. He helped me install the sheet metal, holding it so nothing got scratched. He has had the wheels off a few times. He helps with a lot of odds and ends. I can tell you he loves this T. I think he thinks it's his. Maybe at some point!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Dang nice job !! It's a good feeling when the mission is near completion. Enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 06:10 am:

Thanks Don, I intend to drive it a lot and give my 14 a break (10,000 miles last three summers).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

"Not counting body work itself the paint job is not that critical, it's the wet sanding, buffing and polishing that give you the final results and that takes a lot of time." (Quote: Dan)

Yes ! Let's hear it for the lowly sandpaper. Prior to having actually done it themselves, people tend to think of a "paint job" as the simple act of spraying the shiny stuff on the car. But any real paint job is just the topping on a whole pile of preparation.

Dick (not a good painter -- just persistent)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration