Hood Shelve paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood Shelve paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 11:46 am:

While I have my engine out my 1926 TuDor, I thought I'd spruce up some other items. My hood shelves always get battered up. The hood bangs on them and gasoline spills on them.

Originally I painted them with body paint, but that didn't last long at all. Later I used RustOleum and Valspar brush on paint. These seem to handle the mechanical abuse, but not the gasoline. The gas seems to bubble up the paint and then rust. I can, and may just repaint them with brush on paint, but is there a better way? I'd like to find something that is more gasoline resistant. Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

por 15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

I recently took mine off, cleaned them up and had them powder coated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

I powder coat that type of thing and the gas wont hurt the powder coating. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Imron works too. You usually can get it in small quantities at your favorite local auto paint store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Any good 2 part gloss black epoxy should give you the results you want. many decades ago, I used Imron on mine and they are just as shiney now as they were when I first painted them. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Stolpestad on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

get them powdercoated. will last forever and holds up to anything.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration