Rear Axle Tubes. Prime/paint inside? Or leave as is.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear Axle Tubes. Prime/paint inside? Or leave as is.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Haven't seen them yet, but my 26/27 rear axle tubes and pumpkin is at the machine shop getting hot dipped cleaned. All the parts and seals are out of it.
When it comes back, should I just start the reassembly and worry about priming and painting the assembly after completion? Or should I worry about prime and/or paint on the inside as well.
Would you paint the exterior as seperate assemblies, two axle tubes, driveshaft, radius rods, etc., or would you assemble the unit and then prime and paint as an assembly.
I'll probably do the radius rods seperately, but the other sub assemblies, just wondering what the consensus is.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Prime or the fresh metal will rust or get greasy one assembly. Assemble. The wipe with thinner to clean surfaces and spray paint entire assembly. Touch up any scratches when back under the T. Don't paint internals!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

BTW. Radius rods go on same instance as torque tube fits to pumpkin. Otherwise you can't fit those radius rods!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I coat mine with Glyptal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration