Confirming wire wheel hub details

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Confirming wire wheel hub details
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Starting to make a couple of sets of hydraulic front brakes for 26-7 wire wheels. Just want to confirm a couple of details as I don't have any wheel studs handy
Seems like it is 5 holes on 5" circle. The holes seem like 5/8". The raised ridge to keep the studs from turning seems like it is 4.29" (or perhaps as small as 4-1/4")?
These are for someone else and I wasn't going to supply the studs
Thx for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

I think the studs are swaged in place. I would think the hole for them would be fussy about the diameter. Some of mine worked loose so I just welded them in place.

Someone else,maybe Dan Treace or Trent Boggess can help with dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Thx Ted. I'm just trying to reduce the "guess work "!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Les

Measured a Ford wire wheel front hub.

The bolt pattern is 5" on centers.

The bolt (stud) has a 9/16" (0.562") dia. shank, that is press fit (not swagged) to the holes in the hub flange.
The studs have a squared off edge on the head to keep from rotating.

That 'raised' ridge or flange around the bolt holes to keep the studs from twisting is 4 5/16" (4.3125") in diameter at the outer edge that touches the studs.

Works sometimes, you can see the stud on the far right has been 'glob' welded in place :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Dan
Thanks for the good information. Much appreciated

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration