Hub Brake Cam Bushing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hub Brake Cam Bushing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

What is the consensus, Brass or Steel? MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Here's what the encyclopedia says: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/A-B.htm#bushings
Apparently Ford thought it was so important with bronze there so he didn't change to steel until 1922, while the other bushings like in the spring shackles were changed to steel already in 1915.

I think I'll try teflon (PTFE) plastic bushings there some day - I like the idea not having to oil where it may leak into the brake. I have acetal (POM) plastic bushings for the spring shackles that works very nice, but Teflon can take heat better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:25 am:

How much do you want to wear out your brake cams? The choice should be logical, and besides, no one can see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Thank you Larry, I only ask because the vendors offer both. Obviously with no oil hole the brass would be less aggressive on the cam shaft. But is it a big problem for one over the other. Knowing that steel was adapted in '22. I'm working on my late '12 rear end. Thanks to all for your input! MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

MG,

Whichever one you choose, it should last you a very long time. It's not a critical choice.

By the way, just because it might not have an oil hole, that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be oiled. Just put a few drops on the shaft, between the brake arm and the backing plate, and it'll get in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I think a better choice would be to use 'oilite' [sintered bronze] bush. These things are porous, you impregnate them with oil prior to fitting them, then they are self lubricated for life. Commonly used in starter motors etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration