Old photo - speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old photo - speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:21 am:

xx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:52 am:

MOM!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:28 am:

cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 08:57 am:

My father warned me about women who drive fast cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:47 am:

very nice example....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Is this what is meant by the term "fast woman"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Love seeing old photos of cars back in time showing how they really looked like! You can tell this car was really used and driven. Dirt, dust and daily grime. Neat photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Rick,

No you got that wrong, my Dad said look out for Fast-Women in cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Looks like she has Rootlieb fenders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

She looks like she is ready to race!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Hubba hubba!

The car AND the girl.

Mmm Mmm, the complete package.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

What's that upright "handle" just left of the door ? Might be the "shut the hell up & hold on" grip !!!!

Quite "sporty", indeed !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:32 am:

If you look a little closer you will see that is a top bracket that rotates up when the top is put up. I have a friend that owns an original body with the same swing brackets.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Brass Car Guy,

I'm trying to visualize how the top would go up. I drew a yellow circle around what I believe is the pivot point for one of the brackets.

Would that bracket be rotated up about 90 degrees when the top is put up? What would it secure to? Possibly the bracket circled in red below? Or does that one rotate also?

Do you or does anyone else have some photos etc. that would show a similar top in the up position?

Great photo – Roger thank you for posting it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 10:31 am:

I wonder why a nice looking car was cut up in the running board?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Cut up? I think it was an accessory cocoa mat with clamps covering the tiny little running board?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Hi Hap.

I see something different. On the top corner of the splash apron is a shadow showing a gooseneck style top support. The gooseneck is lying horizontal. The top prop nut is under the rearmost edge of your yellow circle. I reckon thats the pivot point. Can you see it too?

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Andrew,

Thank you for your input. I hope things are going well for you and the family as winter approaches.

I think if I could see it with the top up or a similar top in the up position I could understand it better.
I also saw and agree with you that the top bows will pivot at that point. The shadow shows a top bracket. But that makes for a very low top. Below I have tried to show how high the top would be if it pivoted from that point by drawing a circle representing the arc of the top bow. [Disclaimer – the center of the circle is not always exactly where I wanted it to be placed. ] The outside yellow line is from the top bow that sticks out the most when the top is folded. But I’m 95% sure that is actually the front top bow. So I also used the next bow which I think is the middle bow and if it is, it would actually be the and highest bow when the top is raised. That one is in turquoise (light blue). I think that would be a little low – although it would look racy.

But the comment that Steve posted above and that Brass Car Guy responded to makes me think there is more to this story. Steve posted above: “What's that upright "handle" just left of the door? Might be the "shut the hell up & hold on" grip !!!! “

And Brass Car Guy replied: “If you look a little closer you will see that is a top bracket that rotates up when the top is put up. I have a friend that owns an original body with the same swing brackets.”

That makes me think that there is something more than just the standard top bows on a single pivot. But again, I don’t know, I’m just trying to find out.

“IF” the entire bracket pivots as represented by the small yellow circle, then the turquoise circle represents approximately the maximum height of the top. And if the bracket pivots, and if it stopped/was anchored at some point other than vertical, then the top would be lower.

I initially thought the top would look too high based on that turquoise circle. But when I looked at Fred Houston’s suggested top for a speedster – maybe it isn’t? The photo below is from his “how to build a speedster top” at: http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/speedster_top.htm That has other good photos of his top bows etc with and without the top.

I hope someone can add a photo of how that top arrangement or one similar to it looks when the top is up. Or, while I’m hoping…I hope I can find a speedster in a barn around here that has that sort of top set and an overhead valve engine, wire wheels, etc. But I suspect I probably have a better chance of someone posting a photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration