A lifetime of wanting a Model T at 85 yrs old "bingo !"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A lifetime of wanting a Model T at 85 yrs old "bingo !"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:43 am:

I gave this youngster his first driving lesson in his freshly restored '26 Tudor yesterday. His entire life he had wanted to own a Model T. Now at 85yrs of age his desire came true. Last September he contacted me and wanted to talk about possibly buying a T. His big concern was not living long enough to see it finished. I told him to find the car he wanted and drop it off. He did. I packed a years worth of restoration into 8 months for this lad. It may be the most gratifying restore job yet. He had a look of a kid with a new bicycle. Although he has more lesson to go his smile told the story. Age puts limits on us physically, but it never limits our desires. Enjoy your new pride and job (ret) Judge Bayne! You've earned every mile of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:03 am:

Don, what a wonderful story. The car looks great and the smile on Judge Bayne is priceless. Your a good man Charlie Brown!
So,--- we need to get the gang together and take the "T's" out for a day trip---how does that sound! Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Joe, it sounds way overdue ! Thanks for the kind words. The Judge was so thrilled to be chugging down the road, he was actually speechless. To find that kind of joy at his age is priceless, truly priceless...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Nice one Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Congrats. Have a great time pops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:31 am:

This just shows that you are never to old to live your dreams. Great work Don !!! Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Don,

Great job! Thank you for being such a wonderful ambassador for our hobby. And more importantly for helping Judge Bayne fulfill a life time dream.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Just goes to show you're never to old to go after your dreams. Well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:50 am:

You do nice work Don! Here come the judge!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:55 am:

As Mom always says,"you're never too old, Period!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 08:17 am:

There's a place in heaven for you Don! Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I bought a T last year at age 78, and I will be lucky if I get it up and running by age 85.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Don,
Great job, thank you for sharing.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Good things come to those who wait. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Dreams DO come true

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Kudos to the judge and another great restoration Don. I enjoy all your progress pictures and especially like the two tone on this Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Don, That's wonderful! Thank you for being such a good ambassador for our Model T hobby.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Ambassador is the right word. _Way to go, Don!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Hey Don. I thought I was old at 66 getting my first model t. You are never too old to fulfill a dream. I still have a lot to learn, but you are never too old to learn either. Great job Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Paul Sherman - You somehow remind me of something I heard long ago that I think applies to our hobby and seems to stick with me for some reason,....."sometimes the journey itself "IS" the destination"! Likewise,....it's the whole Model T hobby in itself that's the main goal Paul. And how's come you're not a member of our club,...the Carbon Canyon Model T Ford Club,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

I could be wrong but, lest we forget how fortunate we are. This hobby or lifestyle is unique in many ways. It opens doors to friends we'd never have met otherwise. It allows us to humbly ask the dumbest and toughest questions. It allows us to help someone we will never meet and feel a sense of satisfaction from it. It also is a place to argue and spew facts as we know them. But its most important function is knowing that somewhere out there someone has your back. Just thoughts as to how important this forum has become for me. God bless America !! oh, and thanks for all the nice comments they are deeply appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Don, thats a great looking car. Nice work and a great story. If i live to be 85 i hope i still enjoy this hobby. I am new to model T s after years of Model A s but the old car hobby brings a smile to all of our faces. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Tim,
Another A convert--careful, your A friends may want to have you committed! I know mine can't figure out my affliction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

David, I know I heard it last fall during the Model A Club of Chattanooga,Tn fall cruise. I told a friend I was gonna buy another model T and he said you can't drive a Model T on the road because they are so slow but on the cruise we had guys in A Models that barley could run 30mph and fell back 1/2 mile in the base of the mountains. I haven't said anything yet but my 27 roadster cruises easy at 42 on GPS. They won't believe me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Reminds me of the old joke about the "longest word in the English language". "Smiles", there is a mile between the two "s"s.
Don B, You ARE one of the best!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy as you go! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Great work, Don!
And, we are reminded 'Heartwarming Humanity' still exists!!
Congrats to you both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:44 am:

The car looks great Don! Nice to finally get some spring weather and get outside. You made that one come together in a hurry, looks like a lot of hours of work in April to get it done. As others have said, a big Thanks for all the pictures that you post, not only on this car, but all those secret techniques you are using! JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Harold, I do belong to the Carbon Canyon Club (joined last year) but I have just forgotten to send in my dues for this year. I am on it today.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Ahhhh,.....good for you! A great club and great bunch of folks. Regular monthly breakfast meeting 10:00a.m. this coming Saturday at Wilkeson Eagles,....hope you can make it,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Don,awhile back on a national tour there was a 92 year old guy. We followed him on rainy day, he drove that T straight as an arrow. I think he also drove to the meet. Great job on his car like all the ones you post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Thank you Dan, JD and everyone. I just think its neat to see that old age doesn't mean life is over. Just means you enjoy making life slower...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Tim,
Model As tend to pick up a vibration at around 45 to 50 mph, and many owners won't "drive through" that vibration, as it smooths out just above the 50. It's frustrating to drive in a group stuck right at that vibration speed--it's hard on the car and really annoys the modern drivers too! (but in today's world, 55 would bother them anyway)
I used to drive this car (the one in the middle), looks like a wreck (we called it "The Rambling Wreck") but I would take it across country with no hesitations. Kinda wish I still had it, but it went away in a financial crunch many many years ago. (That's my wife standing in front of the pickup, so you can tell this was a LOOOONG time ago!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Today the wishes of a lifetime came true. The Tudor arrived home safely and in one piece. This bucket list item is fulfilled for this 85 year old youngster. Never give up on your dreams, never lose hope. Patience will persevere. The ole car and the ole Judge have come full circle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Good on ya Don! Get any snow? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Well done Don. Great story; someone should do a write it up for the club magazine and elsewhere.

Any photos of the car before restoration started?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Bud, we got some flurries...not much of a warm up this year ~~!!

Constantine, yes, I started this thread last October when he dropped the car off.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576110.html?1448464555

Thanks for asking..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

What most of you don't know about Don, is that he said farewell to his 93 year old Mother yesterday. I did not know her, but I have come to know two of her "products", the Booth Boys, of which there are four. Through them, and her memorial service, I learned what a nurturing soul she is, and how important the Story is. Everything, and everyone, has a story. And they all mattered to her. One of the neighborhood boys flew from L.A. to Michigan for her service. Don is doing a fine job of honoring the people who raised him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

That is one beautiful Model T. I hope he really enjoys it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Don, our sympathies to you and your families.
Linda & David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:51 am:

Don,

My condolences for your family's loss.

Good on you for getting Judge Bayne's T ready so quickly.

Being able to get in and out of a T, and drive it is pretty amazing for an 85 year old.

Why did Judge Bayne wait so long to buy a T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:06 am:

Don,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family will be in our thoughts an prayers.

Thank you so much for sharing the story and reminding us to " Never give up on your dreams, never lose hope. Patience will persevere. "

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Pergande, Essexville MI on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:41 am:

Great story on the Tudor...outstanding work all the way...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:53 am:

Thank you all for your kind words. The loss was softened by her two wishes. She wanted to go in her own home and she wanted to go in her sleep. The good Lord granted both. She was in no pain and was still able to get around. We couldn't be more grateful. I just have to say what a wonderful group of people this forum brings together. All of you have been supportive in every way possible. It reaffirms that good people DO exist in this crazy and sometimes cruel world. God Bless You All ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:53 am:

My condolences to you and your family Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 07:00 am:

Constantine, the Judge had collected automotive items and farm items his entire life. He had always wanted a model T. The big thing was his wife delivered their first born in a Model A. She made it very clear that the ride to the hospital wasn't fun for her. The roads were gravel and dirt and in her condition caused her some unforgettable discomfort. Apparently she never wanted to be tossed around to the point of bearing a child again. So needless to say, the ole Judge had some persuading to do.. almost 60 years worth...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 02:42 am:

Don, so sorry for your loss. My mother passed away much the same way, in her house, but watching TV. Still as sharp as she ever was. Our condolences. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

My mom is 93, dad turned 94 yesterday. Physically they're in "pretty good shape for the shape they're in" as my dad has always said, though memories are getting weak. They came from hearty stock like your mother.

My condolences go out to you Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

What a sweet Tudor! It's right at home at the Judge's place. Perfect. My toys (beloved machines) keep me going some days and I'm 33 years younger than the Judge! :-)
Don, sorry about you losing your mom but what a good way to go. No struggles. :-)
Ed, thanks for the heads up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration