"keep digging, you might find the rest of the car!"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: "keep digging, you might find the rest of the car!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor A. Holmstedt on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Last year I dug up keys and other small parts from a Model T while metal detecting in my yard. I did not know they were Model T until members here graciously identified them for me. Some one commented that I ought to keep digging, I might find the rest of the car. Well, tonight I dug up what I believe to be a Model T wood spoke rim! Who knows, maybe the rest is still out there. Its pretty roached but a neat find anyways. Had to dig a big hole for this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Trevor,

Me thinks perhaps you might have a little bit too much time on your hands .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Sounds like a lot of hard work. My back just couldn't dig enough to get it out of the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:08 am:

I found the last eighteen inches of a late T frame sticking out of the dirt in the woods once. Gave it a pull and it wouldn't budge so who knows how much more of it is down there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:25 am:

This is an actual Model T that was dug up and restored. Here are before and after pictures. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 04:51 am:

Jim, I've seen those pictures before. I don't think it was restored, it was replaced!:-) JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:02 am:

I thank that steering column was on e-bay last week .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:28 am:

In 1994 i dug about a 1 1/4 acre pond and the the farmer on the next section had at least 1/8 mile of stone piles he wanted to get rid of'Starting in 1996 he hauled me all those stone and i spread them as far into the pond as my large excavator could reach. To date i have found several little t parts and a steering wheel spider.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 09:15 am:

There is a roller skating rink not too far from me that was built on some sloping land in the '30s or '40s, right next to an auto junkyard. They needed some additional fill during construction, so all the Model Ts were simply shoved next door to the construction site and the rink was built atop them. With the advent of in-line skates, the rink's fallen on hard times and gone out of business now, and the unused building's just sitting there, so....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:16 am:

This Faultless Raceabout was dug up out in the Arizona desert many years ago and restored. I drove my truck and trailer to Arizona with a friend and he purchased it from the owner's son about ten years ago.

Faultless

Resting in the garage when we got there

Left side showing Rajo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Wow Jim someone has a great deal of talent to be able to rebuild that T. I will not complain about my 26 project again. Really cool car and pics.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

I have a few doubts about the right rear fender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

All that's required to restore a car like the one depicted in Jim's post above is finding every single part in mint condition and then simply bolting everything together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

The car in Jim's photo is in Detroit. For a long time it was on display at the Detroit Historical Museum. I remember seeing it many times as a kid. There are definitely parts of the dug-up car that were used... but not too many. The "after" photo was taken in the museum's storage facility, near Historic Fort Wayne, also in Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Jerry,I remember historic Fort Wayne! 53 1/2 years ago i took a oath there.Is my Uncle Sam still using Fort Wayne?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Bud,

No, Sam moved out, it's safe to return if you wish. (Well, relatively safe anyway....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Here's the story I located in a 2011 thread. I think David is right. It looks more like the T was replaced instead of restored. They would have been lucky to be able to salvage 5% of the parts as most of it seems too deteriorated to use. Now, had it been buried in the sands of an arid desert such as in Las Vegas, a lot more would have been salvageable. Either way, it is an interesting story and I'm glad a complete Model T was able to be resurrected from it for future generations to admire and marvel over. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/232945.html?1315080760

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration