6V Halogen Headlight Bulbs.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 6V Halogen Headlight Bulbs.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Are the 6V halogen bulbs where you can use your original generator and set up any better as far as brightness or durability over the original type headlight bulbs? Just wondering if the vast difference in price is worth the delta. Thanks....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:03 am:

In my opinion, good reflectors are the key to good lights. The reflector was designed for the filament at a certain distance. I don't know if the halogen bulb has the same distance. Also the way modern bulbs are made, the orientation isn't correct and the socket needs to be rotated 90 degrees (focus adjuster screw at 12 o'clock). I'm sure you will hear from others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Halogen technology brings nothing to the Model T except problems. Halogen is about uniform briteness near end of life compared to regular bulbs. In general they use the same filament material as regular bulbs and thus are not brighter nor do they have a longer life nor do they fit and focus. Claims of being brighter are oversold and hide the fact that the brighter halogen bulbs also draw a more current and that is where the problems start. If you convert to halogen you might as well get an alternator too and then also upgrade the wiring and use a larger ammeter.....or just buy a mustang. As others have stated your best bet for a T is to get your reflectors resilvered. In the not too distant future I suspect there WILL be newer technology LED type headlight bulbs that will in fact offer much brighter lights and also much lower operating current. That technology offers real promise but it isn't here yet with well engineered packaging. While halogens offer nothing of value to an antique car they are an improvement for your modern car because uniform briteness of both headlights is very important and halogen keeps 2 bulbs at same briteness even to near end of life. Since most of us rarely drive our T's at night there is not much value to uniform briteness near end of life of the bulb since we could just as well put a new pair of headlight bulbs in place every few years and save a lot of money and headache.

just my .02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I agree with John's comments and would like to add the following: no matter how bright your bulbs are or how shiny your reflectors are, if you don't focus the lights per the handbook, you will not reach maximum brightness.

Rotate the socket, as John described, before focusing. By focusing, the oval will be horizontal rather than vertical.

Note: some original headlight buckets are properly oriented from the factory.

Focusing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Well, I always respect John's opinion, but on this one I disagree. I run 6v 25 watt halogen headlight bulbs without issues and prefer them over the 32CP I have run before. Both types of bulbs draw 4 amps ea. My wiring is newer with a rebuilt generator and Uvira coated reflectors. I do prefer the halogens over the traditional bulbs for the limited night driving I do. Been a little over two years with them and no problems so far.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration