Fixing Late Floorboards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fixing Late Floorboards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:10 am:

When I restored my '25 roadster p/u, I installed NOS floorboards. The glue joints of the wood between the pedals is barely supported by the sheet metal pedal trim, and as a result, both pieces of wood became loose at the glue joint. I realized that simply re-gluing those pieces would not be enough, short of putting in new solid wood floorboards from Jon Anderson. So, I re-glued both pieces, and clamped them tight, and after the glue dried I used four corregated nails to give strength to the wood. Anyone who has ever used corregated nails is aware they can be a problem to install, so I place a nail over the joint, and tapped it with a hammer just enough to get it started, and used my bench vise to press them in. I put one nail on the top side of the joint and another on the bottom. Next, I re-installed the pedal trim, and draft deflector, using the correct semi-tubular rivets. I hope this will hold for a few more years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Sounds good to me. There are many ways to get the same results. Good choice !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

I like using Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique also known as West Epoxy. Good stuff and has the same tinsel strength of aluminum of the same thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Dumped the junk replacement boards and made a poplar set. Perfect fit & solid. Cut so close they'll probably not be able to be used in another car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:49 am:

From what sanding I did, it appears the original floor boards were maple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Pretty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

When I first got Barney, I went to Sac. Vintage Ford to get tires (no shipping, I was in Sacramento for a meeting anyways); while there I inquires about floorboards, as the catalog price was almost less than the plywood would cost me. What he brought out were so poorly cut out that I just handed them back to him, and he agreed that they looked pretty poor--and the wood was too thin too!
They really aren't that complicated, and with care, you can make a set that fits perfectly! And, as noted, you can use better wood too!
I know, Gilding the Lilly! Over-restoration, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Nice looking work and the boards look really good. I should do the same to my 27 Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Back in my woodshop days, I borrowed floorboards from Kim Dobbins. I made them exactly as the originals, from solid maple. But there is no more woodshop, and I'm retired anyway!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration