How about a collection of before and after pictures?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How about a collection of before and after pictures?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:50 am:

I am always amazed at people who restore these cars, the little they start out with and what they end up with.
I have never restored a model T but do know this from restoring a 1947 plane found out in a field. over 45.000 in parts plus 6 years of labor and I have a plane I can safely and proudly fly but can't sell it for more than $30.000.-
If you do upload two pictures, be honest ad also post how much money went into it. No need to mention the fun and satisfaction. We all know that is priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:58 am:

beforebefore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Here's the "BEFORE" photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

I spent about $2,500.00. Here's the "AFTER" photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

OK, it's not a T, but where's the "before" picture? Plane restoration seems (to me) to be so much more critical than Car Restoration--after all, a small goof in a car job does not result (usually) in the car falling from the sky!
Now this isn't a T--none of my Ts are ready for the "after" picture!) but here's a before & after of my model A, the car that got me started in the hobby.

and after

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Not exactly before and after but before and during. Frank arrived here Saturday, April 16 and these pictures are about 30 minutes ago. Getting it ready to paint the correct dark blue. Just pulled the radiator and coil box, working on sheet metal out back. Fun stuff and a nice day to be outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

PS, I see while I was downloading & posting, more info came to light. How much money?? I have no idea, I restored it between 8th grade and college, back in the 70s. Although I did drive it to my HS graduation looking like this.

PS, my folk's graduation present to me was 4 new Monkey Wards tires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Nellie '23 touring cut-off pickup.

Before:Chickasha OK purchase, costly $1500, but a gotta have it buy.

After:

Refurbish costs, engine short block rebuild $1850, trans and drive line redo, about $800, rear fenders, $50, hood panels, $30, safety glass, $100, new radiator $800, used salvaged top cover, $50, tires and tubes $400, misc parts (not costed as had much on-hand parts) and a few new pieces, (D. Hatch wouldn't come off the price of that fender brace bar :-( ) for about $200 or so. Complete redo costs:
Ouch! $4,280.

Total investment (less Vincent Van Goat in the wood bed): $5,780.

Driving fun factor and waves from passersby and gawker's glances and comments...: Priceless :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Cougins on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Before...Before
Currently-right now
We do it for the love of machinery, right?
I switched to working on cars in the driveway, keeps me off the mean streets of Boulder... Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Ooops. I forgot to list my expenses so far on getting Frank ready for paint: Spent $6.58 for some degreaser and $4.93 for some Scotch Brite. I'm guessing, however, there will be more cost before Frank is ready for the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Not a T, but my first project. I can't tell you how much I spent because I was always afraid to total up all the receipts. Here's before:

And here's after:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

The previous owner of my 1924 cut-off touring paid a shop $11,000.00 to get his grandfather's car from this:

pic1

pic2

To this:

pic3

pic4

I bought it from him for $8000.00, then spent another $2000.00 to get it to this:

pic5

pic6

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

Alan, I had a beautifully restored 1946 Ercoupe in the hangar for about 10 years. One of the most fun airplanes I have flown. Like a Model T, it wasn't for getting there. It was for the fun of the trip. Good luck with yours. You have done a beautiful job on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Mark what a good looking car. Did you have the paint work done or did you do it yourself? The paint is really nice looking. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

The previous owner paid for the paint job. I don't know if the shop that did the other work for him did it or if they farmed it out, sorry.

The previous owner and the shop that did the paint work were in Sterling, IL. I don't know the name of the shop that he used.

I did replace the driver side running board with a new reproduction that I had powder coated black at a shop in Herculaneum, MO. It matches the rest of the paint perfectly.

(Message edited by cudaman on May 04, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I've had a lot of good before and after projects though the years. Several hit-n-miss engines, antique tractors and three steam traction engines. After all that fun, I merely bought into the Model T hobby after finding a good "driver" for sale locally. Paid a fair price for a pretty good looking car that drives and runs well. Still, I've put a couple hundred into it here and there to get it a little better. Nothing like what went into other projects that I'd like to think I'm still "ahead" on! It would be hard for anyone put forth an antique pretty much anyone can own that beats the cost-to-fun ratio a Model T has. If Henry ever knew...pretty amazing. (Maybe he did?)

projects

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Here is a before shot. In my shop after bringing her down from the farm I grew up on. Goats have gone through roof, mice resided in her, and engine seized. This is August of 2010.

Here she is, completed in 2014.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Before. 1955.

After. 2015.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

1924 Touring, fresh from a barn in TN. c. 1977

Rebuilt, c. 1980. As Lizzie is today.

Oh....that little blond behind the steering wheel back then....now fast forward :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Here is the before, not sure what he paid for it.

Here the same car 8 months later...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Inspiration.

How many of us have built a T from just one piece? Bet a lot :-)

Got this replica mother-in-law body, sat in the rain for months, and seat plywood dissolved. But it was my inspiration along with an old picture post card bought off eBay. :-)

Before: 2006

After: 2008

Clone of an '09, all T parts up to '25 used. Only actual 1909 parts was a pair of E&J head lamps, courtesy of Kim Dobbins :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Before

After

22 +

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Ha ha, Frank, don't think you started with such a nice Touring when building #22 :-)

I started collecting T parts with moderate success 30 years ago..

Can't tell how much I've spent on each car, got one running primitive pickup and one or two more T's built from parts in the works..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Roger it must have looked like that at one time or another :~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I started with a rusted out cab that belonged to my Great-Great Uncle. (The small hole on the top of the cowl is where my dad poked his finger through while showing the family member that owned the farm just how bad of condition it was in...I saved the old cowl just for that hole.)

I literally pieced it all together and it is just about ready to roll. The rear fenders need to be finished and it will be about done. I have too much in it but it is mine and always will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I found this on a ranch in AZ and now after

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Although i didn't do the hard work of restoring and preserving this T to live on well into the future, i still am lucky to be its latest caretaker. The first pic is about 1986 and the second is last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

As found:

Now:

Actually, two different trucks. I bought one, thinking I'd take on another project.
Then I decided just to buy a decent driver and do the "project" later. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Purchased this 1906 Moline Model G Touring frame and engine in 1974 and got promoted to a college Dean so had to put it away. Finished it after I retired in 1989.

Below is the frame after we rebuilt the engine in 1982. Sorry I don't have a picture it it when we brought it home.

moline engine exposed.jpg

On display at a Concourse

Moline on the grass.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Purchased this 1906 Moline Model G Touring frame and engine in 1974 and got promoted to a college Dean so had to put it away. Finished it after I retired in 1989.

Below is the frame after we rebuilt the engine in 1982. Sorry I don't have a picture it it when we brought it home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:54 am:

frame

finished

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Before the love of Model T's

AFTER!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Found this one on Craigs list in Canby OR. blue

After a few changes.
yellow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 10:43 am:

And this one before:
green before

After:

after

and I am working on this:
pie

Still a couple of weeks from completion:
during

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

In 2005 I found a 1926 Touring, we needed three day to get it out of the barn.

Three years later in 2008 this was its first ride.

In 2011 I came home with a lot of parts.

2015 :

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

before is 1960 Driven home all most complete with some updates. After 50 years later getting worn out but still looks pretty Good Its about 98 percent !912 Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Bought a rusty pile of junk in 1977. Don't know why, didn't have a brain in my head. After 5 years and countless thousands of dollars (not counting the beer) the 1913 Touring Car emerged.

pile of junk

1913 car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I had so much fun driving it, I never put a top on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Hauled this TT home in 1968.
before

Here we are a year later at the Long Beach Hill Climb. With a little horse trading my investment was a whopping $400.
after

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Bought this doodlebug in 2014, after Ron started posting about his stuff and got me hooked.

Here we are a couple years later, it has worked itself into a nice little doodlebug tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Before:

After minus top and interior:

Engine before:

Engine after:

Car is now with Ernie Romero getting a new interior and top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 11:05 am:

I think Frank hit the nail on the head!! You crack me up.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Before: one truck and trailer load

After: 4th of July parade, kids from summer library program with their librarian

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration