Identify motor meter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Identify motor meter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Got this neat radiator cap with some T parts. Not T. When you pull down the head the cap flips open. What car might it be for?eagleeagle 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Jim, I could be wrong, but that actually may be for a Model T. I saw a post sometime back that showed a very similar cap that had a threaded adapter to install it on a T. The way the adapter worked made it more theft proof. Maybe someone will remember the post ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

This may be it, but not sure how insert works ...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/610621.html?1454431372

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

The cap and the meter are two different things. The cap is an after-market flip-top, and fairly fancy with the eagle's head latch. What it "fits" depends solely upon the thread, inside, or outside, and count. Many different cars used similar threads. Most caps were made with the treads as part of the cap. Some caps had changeable threads to fit several different cars.
Good photos and measurements would help identify what it might fit.
The meter does not show well in the pictures above. But I think it is (or was) an "Arrow-meter". They had a distinctive look similar to that. Arrow-meters are kind of neat, moderately rare, and often non-functional (a piece or two inside often breaks).
The front name-plate (?) looks unusual. It could be an insert with an original owner's initials or a club affiliation.
Personally, I prefer the much more common Boyce Motometer (also often spelled Motormeter or Moto-Meter or Motor-Meter or initialed simply as M-M, even spelled different ways in some of their own original advertising?)

The cap looks to have been nickel plated brass originally. It would take some work to clean it up. But it would be beautiful if properly done!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Have a similar eagle radiator cap in my collection, differs some.

It has external threads, fits to T radiator neck. Motometer hole in cap for the meter, larger wingspan too.

Only problem for use is the cap plate with the u-shaped lugs is sprung up on the other side, won't seal well. And the eagle head, when placed in the forward looking position won't clamp tight now, just falls down.. Afraid to do any work as the soft metal casting will likely break away. :-(
Destined for display now, sure would look neat on a racy T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Were ANY of the Motometers specifically made for Fords ? My impression upon doing some
cursory research was that Boyce made these to fit ANY car and one simply bought the appropriate
screw-diddy piece to fit their specific car and simply added wings, dogbones, flying eagles, and the
meter at will.

The meter itself might read for the make (if the buyer had so chosen to buy that one), but it was
still an aftermarket item, much like we see "Chevy" and "Ford" themed decals for the upper wind-
shields on cars today .... you know, to help the morons of the world understand that this F250 is
actually a Ford truck, because it isn't obvious enough already !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Yes Burger - there was a Boyce meter "made especially for Ford cars" it's printed on the meter's small face plate - I'll try & get a photo later of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Were ANY of the Motometers specifically made for Fords ? My impression upon doing some
cursory research was that Boyce made these to fit ANY car and one simply bought the appropriate
screw-diddy piece to fit their specific car and simply added wings, dogbones, flying eagles, and the
meter at will.

The meter itself might read for the make (if the buyer had so chosen to buy that one), but it was
still an aftermarket item, much like we see "Chevy" and "Ford" themed decals for the upper wind-
shields on cars today .... you know, to help the morons of the world understand that this F250 is
actually a Ford truck, because it isn't obvious enough already !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Did I not understand your question correctly ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Steve, I understand. They were made to read for all sorts of specialty interests, from car
makes to hobby interests to club affiliations. I have not seen actual Boyce marketing catalogues
of the period, but as I understand it, one might shop for a motometer like you'd shop for the
style of underwear you want from the Sears catalogue ... pick the one you like and place your
order. Pierce, Packard, International Order of Oddfellows, Washington D.C. camera club .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Different sizes for sizes of vehicles.

And for the Ford owner, Boyce made this model :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

The Boyce was the most popular (in the USA) and sold mostly through almost any after-market parts dealer that wanted to carry them. The "Ford Special" was basically the regular Boyce Junior with a Ford Special plate, which varied over the years. Many of the Ford specials had black faces like most other Boyce meters during the model T era. Later ones for model Ts and model As had gold faces with the Ford name on them. They also came in special "Ford" boxes which are much more rare than the meters are (Jay?)!
Boyce would supply name plates for almost any car manufactured. Many dealers would carry a supply of the more common name plates and put them into your meter. Up until recent years, it was still common to find original name plates for cars that had never been used in a meter before. For many rare cars, name plates are much more common than the cars themselves, and not worth a lot because there is no real demand for them. Other name plates, and especially originally in meters from some cars, trucks, and other equipment, can be very expensive. Like many things, it just depends upon supply and demand.
Value can be a serious issue if you are wanting to pick up a basic Boyce Moto-Meter for your antique car. I have looked at hundreds of them over the years, and bought /had more than a dozen. I have paid good money for a few, but most of the Moto-Meters I have bought were under $30. Even about six years ago, I bought a few of them for about $30 or less. All of them from people that knew what they had and about what it was worth.
On the other hand, many times. Many, many, times. I will see one for sale, at a swap meet, or an antique store. I will ask the price, and be told some ridiculous amount. When I balk at the quote, they will begin to tell me about how they have sold so many of them and therefore they know what they are worth. Sometimes I will ask what name was on the front of the one they had sold. Usually they will say they have no idea what name was on it because they never looked at it that close. One fellow told me the one he sold said "Stutz", but that he really didn't know anything about Stutz cars. He was however sure that the standard Boyce was worth just as much.
It may surprise some people to hear that many of the more valuable Moto-Meters are for trucks. They were rare to begin with (originally with the marque name in them), and very few survived given the hard life of the truck. Owner/hobbyists of the surviving trucks really prize the correct meter for them. Many truck marques meters in good condition can sell for well over $500. The real prize, however, is a Fire-truck marque in good condition. I have seen American Le France meters sell for more than a grand.
Remember, decent standard Boyce meters should still be available for around $30. Rarity, condition, and desirability all play in the value of any given meter. Good original plating does add to the price. And the wreathed bezel also adds a few dollars to value. There are several variations in size of the standard Boyce meter (mostly how thick it is). That does affect the value some, but not a lot. Owners of large '20s sedans tend to want the heavier looking thicker meters. The more common thinner meters look fine on most late '10s and early '20s cars. The Boyce Junior did not vary as much over the years, however, there were some changes and variations.
The pre-1918 style open meters (actually sold well into the 1920s) are a whole subject unto themselves. And while fairly rare, do not sell for as much as I would expect they should.

It should also be noted that a lot of marques of cars were offered with Boyce Moto-Meters either as an option or as standard equipment from the factory on at least some models and years. I have some original sales literature for Paige that states Boyce Moto-meters were available on them from the factory. On some of their later models, the radiator cap meter was standard. The dash gauge was the extra money option.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Here is another one special for the Model T. I have had several of the flip top mounts for the motometer. There was a man at Chickasha that had dozens of the special flip top caps in NOS condition for several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 05:50 am:

my $9.99 motometer off eBay....somewhat redone...on my 1910 REO truck build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 05:54 am:

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration