Differential ratio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Differential ratio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Loving on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

How do you figure the gearing ratio of the differential?
I have 3 T's, with one rear wheel jacked up and the transmission in high, it takes just under 2 revolutions of the starting crank to make the rear wheel turn one revolution.
That would seem to be about 1.8:1 ?
If I double it, that would be 3.6:1
What don't I understand about this?
I'm confused

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

With only one rear wheel lifted, the differential will give the free wheel double speed, doubling the ratio. Std ratio is 3,64:1 or 40/11. Thus with only one wheel turning you'll get 1,82:1, though never in real driving.

Here's a good video explaining the diff so even Chevy guys can understand it ;)
https://youtu.be/yYAw79386WI

(Message edited by Roger K on May 04, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration