What did you do today? (May)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What did you do today? (May)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

My 1923 touring has a tired engine, lacking the pep it ought to have, especially on hills. It's going to Mike Bender, but he wont be ready for it until sometime this summer. So I decided to just install the new Berg's radiator and drive the car until then.

After being dogless since September, I redogged on Sunday. Today Nala got her first Model T ride, going to the vet for shots. When we got home from town the car not only wasn't hot, there wasn't even a gurgle.

My new rider took the experience well, and quickly learned how to get in and out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

She's a beauty!

Aren't you pretty close to being able to reassemble the roadster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

It was a beautiful day here in Denver so I went for a sunset drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

That's great Steve, she looks like a natural in her new digs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Mark, yes. The engine would be back in it by now if I wasn't so busy with other stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 01:25 am:

She's a beauty Steve! The model T looks good too. It's amazing the difference a good radiator makes.
As for me so far in May, last night we poured mains in five blocks. One model A, one model T with Scat T crank, one model T with stock T crank, one model T with shortened A crank, one model T with Scat stroker crank. Tonight I am getting the line boring mill ready for all these blocks. Today I cranked up the TT dump truck and did a run with a load of trash to the dump. I work there, so I get a big discount on the fees. Rolled the scales at 4700 lbs gross. Average load for ol' dumpy, I have seen 6000 a couple times.
Earlier in the week I got a 1915 touring running after a several year dormant period. Today I relined the rear brake bands. These are real original Rocky Mtn. brand brakes, amazing how much heavier and more complicated they are than the modern AC brake repops that bear their name. Somehow during all of this stuff I also showed up at my day job. Counting the years to retirement so I can do model T's full time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 02:23 am:

Today , I did a tryout with lineboring machine.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 05:26 am:

I don't know about it still being "today" at this point? But a little after midnight I headed out to the shop for about an hour and a half. I dug through the stored old project for fixing a few magneto field coils. I found the one that I had set aside as repairable with one badly damaged coil and fifteen that look pretty good. I dug out the trays of disassembled coils I was fooling with a few years ago and started sorting through them to find a good and correct candidate to replace the damaged one. It looks like I have a couple choices to rebuild.
After this one, maybe next time I can rebuild the entire coil ring the right way. Maybe.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Steve, better take Nala for a ride in the T soon for a "real ride" so she doesn't equate the T with going to the vet! LOL..unless she's like our dog who actually LIKES her vet. Good to see you re-dogged. Every guy needs one. Nice car too and nothing like a new radiator is there? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Skin my driver side 26-7 door, ready to be welded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Seven rebuilt Model T ford starting motors ready for assembly, test and shipment next Monday.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

You are all working to hard today.
It was the first really fine day of the year today and I just did nothing. I just went out for Ice cream.
Tomorrow it will be different.

Take care and keep it safe.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Removed the radiator, firewall, steering column and some wiring. All the parts that will be painted black are ready for the painter. The body is loose from the frame and will come off in the next day or so and I'll get that part paint ready. Fun stuff, but I don't have a dog to ride in the car when it's done. Guess I'll have to get one of the grandmonkeys to come over and crank Frank for me. The car got here on April 16 and I'm having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Today I took apart a 26/27 transmission that looked like it had good drums. It was so worn out that I did not need a puller to get it apart. It sort of fell apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I got the new Sherman deep sump oil pan for the speedster project and have it mocked up. I really like it and it is a very high quality part. I do not get to do much this time of year, other than get parts found and ready for the fall work season. I also have the leather upholstery material bought for the seat. I hope to get the body to the upholstery guy soon. The leather is called "aged brandy" It is a very similar shade of color to my steering wheel and dash made of mahogany. If I can get the upholstery done this summer, then all that is really left to do this fall is the chassis final assembly, and install the goodies on the engine , Then Zoom Zoom :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Donnie -- It's against the law for you to be playing with your Speedster this time of year. Petit Jean is upon us! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Pulled the front floorboards and transmission cover yesterday. Adjusted the reverse band this AM and put the cover and floorboards back. Will get the rear wheels off the dollies, put gas in it, and hopefully start it for the first time this year over the weekend. If the weather isn't as awful as it has been for the last week, I might even get a short ride in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Built 8 ECCTs Getting ready for the Home Coming Swap Meet one June 4th :-)

ECCTs for Home Coming

The 8th ECCT was donated to the MTFCA Auction to benefit the Model T Museum. Good Luck Bidding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Today I adjusted the main bearings.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Getting ready to put the new motor in the 31 Town Sedan.

Cleaned the garage, switched the snowblower with the riding lawn mower, moved the T so I could get the A into the center of the garage, started cleaning 60 plus years of gunk from the A engine compartment, and removed the A transmission.

It takes me 30 minutes to do what I used to do in 5 minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Touched up the paint nicks on the body and tightened the brake and reverse bands. Getting ready for a ride this weekend from Cypress to a ranch in Waller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Saturday at Derricks. More progress and one accident. Engine is coming together. Installed trans and safety wired. Gap between Mag ring and magnets where at .0031. Installed engine pan.Bands and hogshead. Had an old bolt snap and trans ear caught poor Martin Vowell.just about the knee. Looks really bad, but it was just a scrape and bruise. Let's be careful out there guy's/girls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

OUCH!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

At least I found a replacement for the totally worn ball joint linkage in my 1916 Tourer.
Having the commutator in the correct position with the lever fully up I could move it half way without the commutator moving - so I never knew exactly how the ignition was set between too retarded and not enough forwarded. When the lever already was at the very down end the T run o.k. but I had a suspect that it could still be too far retarded for higher revs / speed.
Got the new linkage after long search from a store for model airplanes here in Germany. It is metric of course (M6 inner and outer).
First had a thread cut in a new rod (one end cut off) and tried to bend it to fit - after some hours of trial and error I decided to take the old rod and managed to get the old linkage off. Somehow the new one could be screwed on despite the different threads and after setting the ignition and some still needed bending (this time with success) everything could be reinstalled. Engine started fine and I have the impression it can get and make more revs now.
Could not make a test drive due to crazy traffic here, having the first warm days since 4 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I just make my oil change :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Finished the final reassembly of my coupe. Took it all apart last November and had it painted. Took a day to disassemble everything down to the bare metal parts. Took a week to put it back together again. Some of that time was trying to remember how it went together. Was smart enough to bag all the bolts and screws in different bags. Did a little engine work during the winter also. Things like "Z" head, adjust valves, degreed timing gear and installed high flow intake manifold. Runs great and strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I want to give a special thanks to my Model T friend, Dennis Plank for all his help in this winter project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I'm in the process of fabricating an original dimension battery box using sheet steel from the home improvement store and a really nice lid I got from Larry Smith. I made patterns from poster board, then cut the steel.

The older thread giving the proper dimensions of the box is here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47561.html?1205077586

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Drove to town for groceries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjWhSDP7nU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Steve, Nala looked a little camera shy at first, then she seemed to love touring. :-) She seems like a great dog. Best of luck with her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 06:38 am:

I cleaned up.

I boxed up assorted NH parts for an eventual carburetor rebuild.

I removed my Model A trunk and a '26 upholstery kit from the patio at home now that She Who Must Be Obeyed has returned home after watching our grandchildren for many months. I also notice that many of my kitchen "improvements" have been undone and my cast iron cookware is no where apparent.

I swept the shop floor and attacked a flat clincher with my souvenir Australian tire irons. One more rubber stem tube soon to be replaced with a metal stem and a flap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

I finished my original dimension battery box today. The OEM wood battery case slips right in, but the metal lid is a pretty tight fit. The handles of the wood battery case help support the lid.

Now, if I could only find a modern 6V starting battery that would fit inside the OEM wood battery case! :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Nice work Mark. I like it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Started installing My home made canvas top.topp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Getting ready to put the engine back in my roadster, I gave the cooling system a vinegar soak overnight and flushed it out today.

Block the inlet to let the water fill up...

...then hit the air to blow it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:31 am:

Todays job was to get the engine back in, didn't happen. Chased down some special screws(Bendix cover),bendix lock washers (Thanks LarryBlair !!)
plumbing connections to hook up out side oiler,Martynn sez ours is an original accessory and not a repop. Starter on,gen.on.

Crankshaft runout spacer (Thanks Royce !!)

Martin just had to detail the block, He would not be denied !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Added more wood to my fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Added some more canvas.
ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Drove the 26 roadster p/u about 2 miles. It spit an sputtered and stopped running. Brought it home with my truck cleaned the fuel bulb filter and added a filter in line. When back out and drove it again. Will be changing tanks in the next couple weekends. I will be 12-14 hrs a day again for a while.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Tomorrow? Headed to Batsto Village in N.J. for the car show. Weatherman says OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Been busy got my tires mounted up for the speedster seats made gas tank made
Floor roughly cut and header laid out ready to be welded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Installed an outside oil line.

Lowered the engine into the frame and slid it back.

Sometimes lining up the U-joint with the transmission is tricky, but this time it all went together fairly easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:11 am:

I found a Bridgeport Brass Aeolus tire pump at an antique flea market for $7.00. Polished the brass and painted the cast iron. Little earlier than my T, but looks good.

tire pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Whoa, Dan, that is the find of the month, congratulations!

I had one of those in the running board tool box of my '24, but exchanged it for the "correct" single tube pump. Unfortunately, the single tube pump is too tall to fit in the tool box. Oh well.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Spent most of Saturday my birthday!)at the 56th Annual South Shore Antique Auto Club Trading Bee. Bought some T goodies; steering column, '24 engine block, splash aprons & tool box and saw a few MTFCA forum members also. Fun day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Trailered the '26 roadster to Ross Lilleker today to get him to add some bolt on pep to the engine. Also, delivered the restored '22 Fordson head for his tractor engine building

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I think I speak for most, if not all of us, and I/we thank Mike Kossor for his generous gift for the benefit of the museum.
As My T is so far away, I can't impress anybody with what I did for it today, so I did something for myself instead, and went and got a heart monitor to wear for 24 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

I dragged home a '46 Hudson pickup with a straight eight... I was thinking I'd flip this one to help pay for my T engine build, but I like it more every time I look at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Installed all the engine mounting bolts and the steering column in the roadster. Doesn't sound like it should take all day, does it? Getting bolts into hard-to-reach places, trying to get a nut started, dropping it, starting over, finding the hole & putting in the cotter pin, all makes for mighty slow going. Add forgetting where you put things, and before you know it the day is spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 01:55 am:

Steve, we have been doing that a lot too, constantly looking for stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 02:17 am:

WOW Derek! I had no idea that Hudson ever made a pickup. That thing has a look all it's own. I've been a car nut since 1955 (six years old)and I've never seen one like that. Do you have any history of them and/or of this truck? They surely must be somewhat rare. Nice score! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:12 am:

David, this month's issue of Classic Car has an article on a 1937 Hudson pickup truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

I got the rear tub and seat installed on my 23 Touring. OK it's a 24 model. It went on really easy compared to all the problems I had conjured up over the last week thinking about it. Now I can work my way forward with the wood, lining up the doors and sheet metal with the ribs. Tub1Tub2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Great pictures Michael, I'm going to save those as a guide in case I ever decide to convert my 1924 cut-off pickup back to a touring. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I've been struggling with a knock on number 3 cylinder on the '22 touring car. Piston rod was bent .004", crank journal was .030" wider than the Babbitt on the rod and cap.and a tight wrist pin (.0002" clearance).

The other rods were straight and there doesn't seem to be any other knocking. They're a little too much side clearance too but still no knocking. So I got the Babbitt on number 3 repoured, straightened the rod and fitted it today. I feel pretty confident I've got things going my way. This motor has been a real learning experience.

A few years ago I bought a couple rebuilt short blocks at a pretty decent price but this one certainly has had some issues. I won't even consider using the other block until I've had a chance to tear it down and check it out.

Tomorrow I plan on buttoning up the '22 touring engine and firing it to see if the knock is finally gone.

Thursday the speedster comes out to prepare for the first club tour of the year on Saturday. It'll be nice to blow this A. O. (That's "Area of Operations" for you civilians) for a day and do something different.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Well, not exactly T'ing, but I decided it was time to stop and sort my taps and dies.

I counted 246 taps from 4-40 up. The damn printing is so small most of the time I had to run over to my lighted mag lamp just to see the numbers.

I purchased 3-28 drawer cabinets to put the overstock taps and dies in. Tomorrow I will hang them on the wall and mark each drawer with the tap size and put the taps in the proper place.

I will do the same for the dies tomorrow. Busy work but it is necessary.

I will list all my extras here after I'm finished and if anyone wants some , they will be free just pay the postage. The same for the dies. These are all good American tools and in very nice shape.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Spent the day on the roadster. Installed manifolds, carb, and fuel line. Connected exhaust pipe and steering. Installed throttle rod, timer, timing lever, timer rod, fan, and steering wheel. May be ready to start it up later this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:29 am:

Today I started on my front leaf springs.
Dismantled and ground on them with the grinder (a lite grinder disc), then switched to a 60 grit flapper. Got all the rust off and cleaned up most of the pitting. But there is still some left. I don't think I can go any deeper or I won't have any spring left.
undone top all

tips before stand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:34 am:

Found an interesting mark "Ford DDX) with Ford in script. Of course its almost gone now.

grinder ford ddx

Tomorrow the wire cup for the rust in the pits and then an 80 grit flapper to polish up.

all half done tips half done

I hope these pits if clean and with the slip paint will be okay. I DID radius the bottom of the leaf edges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I'd sure blast those springs instead of grinding them. I dislike the idea of grinding off all that material to get rid of the pits. Blasting will clean the surface and also clean out the pits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Got home too late to post yesterdays work at Derrick's. Got the engine back in,head torqued down,orig outside oiler hooked up, new wood engine blocks installed, fan and belt installed, just a few more things to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

I fired up the engine in the touring car. Number 3 is no longer knocking. Tomorrow, assuming time will permit, I'm going to get the speedster ready for Saturday's club tour, then I'll mount the steering column and firewall back in the touring. Then, if I've got any more daylight left, I'll repair the flat tire on the sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Got the rear doors back on. Always match the hinges to the doors when you take them off. It will save a lot of re-work when you put them back on. Now to put the new wood in them. Doors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Put the coils back in the roadster and hooked up all the wiring. Had to quit and go do laundry, but I'm heading down the home stretch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I rebuilt the coil box for the '26 roadster with the non-conductive plastic, cleaned the timer, replaced the coils. Rebuilt a starter and can now crank with my foot for the first time in about two years. The T fired up on the third turn after sitting for a year,but ran ragged on the old gas.
Sam wants to hit the road and go, and we are ready, but have to fix the top now.

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Nothing big... changed another inner tube... it get easier changing tubes with the more you do...
Demountable bolts looked tired so ordered new set and replaced all the bolts and nuts.
Here is the tire looking like it just had a baby powder bath:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Polished the radiator, made a new cork gasket for it, tightened/replaced bolts on a loose front wheel, spliced the speedometer wires back together, put in gas, oil, and antifreeze, and started it up. The car ran OK, but after about a minute the fan belt came off the crank pulley. So I need to fix that before I go for a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Just had fun....... :-O
This is my Tudor along side Mark's (the friend who bought my shop) Fordson which belonged to a family member of his....... :-)

Fordson and Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Yesterday, five guys showed up to help me remove the body from my '13 runabout. I had it ready to go, so took one minute to transfer it to a cart for moving around. Kim Dobbins even drove over in his fabulous '13 touring for the occasion. Now, I can get rid of the awful green paint which was put on in the late '40s. That is the way they did things back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Took my 1915 for a drive to adjust the Stomberg with the new high volume intake manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Did what we all should do on a nice warm Saturday... Took her out for a drive!

Here she is parked amongst cars that will never see their 96th birthday!

Funny enough, not one person knew what it was... I of course educated them as they stopped looked and took pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

I have just wasted 24 hours.... It started fine yesterday morning when a friend came over to add new bushings to his ruckstell housing. I lined everything up, drilled out the housing and pushed in the new bushing with a little locktite. All three pins went in with just a gentle push, perfect..
I then decided to do one of my own projects, to push a pinion spool bushing onto a brand new driveshaft. I measured the driveshaft, exactly 1.000 with a digital gauge. So I borrowed Heathers oven and heated the bushing to 400F, as recommended in the MTFCA booklet and started pushing. It was rather tight but I persevered and got it within 1/4" of where it needs to be. Now it can't move it either on or off. I suspect the spool was just a little to tight. Now I will have to cut it off and start again.
I am annoyed....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Yesterday I go up at 0430 to go and work for 14 hours so I could buy more stuff for Henry the roadster and Henrietta the coupe. But driving them .... priceless <3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Went to Little Hershey this morning. Not as many T parts as I imagined would be there. All was not lost though. Have owned my taken apart 26 Coupe for over a year and have never had a ride in a T. Would like to thank Wayne Orrison from the Rockford Model T Club for taking me for a ride. Better than that he let me drive it. Have seen many videos and directions, but with his tips, think I figured it out. Felt like a kid in a candy store. Thank you Wayne.
Then it was off to Bob's Antique Auto Parts. Thanks Bob for the tour, and the parts. Pleasure to meet you, and I'll be back for more.
On the way home picked up more parts that I found on craigslist.
feeling motivated and tired. Put in 250 miles today. Had a great time. What a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

We got done at work at 12 today and I started pulling the gas tank out of my 26 rpu and just finished getting it all back in and started. Clean gas comes through now. The other one was full of rust and it had some kind of epoxy around the fuel outlet and it leaked. The tank I put in it came from a swap meet for $60 and it's really clean. The nicest I have seen locally. No sign of rust. I did clean it out and painted it black. Surprised it was so tough to get the old tank out but went back in easy. A great day when I get time to get something completed. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I just spent an hour or so cutting the busing and managed to knock it off. Close as I can tell the ID (I am not great at internal measurements) is 0.997-8. I measured the shaft with a digital micrometer to be 1.000 and am confident of the result. So it seems to me be a bit tight. I suspect these bushings were machined a little tight to compensate for worn drive shafts, mine is brand new.
I think I will go with the adjustable pinion bearing from Snyder as it is held with locktite, it doesn't require a core or any machining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

I just checked the expansion when I heated the spool bushing to 408F from our ambient of 70F, and the increase in diameter would have been about 0.0023". This explains why it went on initially but once it started to cool, I was in trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Tony, that's why I will always use John Regan's Fun Projects bearing.

My day included starting up the roadster and going for a test drive. After a bit of transmission band adjustment it drove OK. But it's not running as smoothly as I like. I'm going to look into the timer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1qzJMFf1s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Great video as usual, Steve! Good to see the roadster back together. It sounded pretty good to me!

I just got back from a Sunday morning drive in my 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup).

Yesterday some friends of mine came down and we took Betsy the Model T to the first annual Hillsboro, MO "Homecoming" car show and festival. Betsy was by far the oldest car there. I forgot to take pictures of my car, but here are a few pictures of some of the other cars that were there. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:46 am:

66 Chevelle SS in Aztec Bronze. Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Went on tour yesterday with 25 other antique cars. One was a 1931 Chevrolet, there were 2or3 Model A's and the rest (about 21) were Model T's. I drove the speedster about 140 miles. By the end of the day I was dirty, I'd been stung and I was sweating pretty good. My back was very sore and one of the coils quit working. But it was one of the best days I've had with my Model T friends. :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Today, I'm on the sofa with ice and a "tens" unit on my back. I've eaten a bunch of ibuprofen and I'm considering the sale of one of my Model T's ('26 Sedan) and my corvette. I'm getting too damn old to attempt keeping the model T's all on the road. And I never needed the Corvette to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Donny Brown
How do you like your RAJO Oil Gauge? I have one on my 4 Valve and really like it. Too bad no one can see it without getting under the car. There are not too many of them around! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Today (after attending the Queens-English car show) we went comparison shopping for an enclosed trailer for the T's and motorcycles. We pretty much decided on a 20' V-nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Dragged my '26 Touring body over to my father-in-law (retired GM body and paint man) to knock out the dents and get her painted. I understand mechanical stuff but paint and body has always escaped me. Chassis is totally restored, engine / trans refurbed or rebuilt where needed, same with rear axle. All I need is the body back, some assembly, and upholstery to be able to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I added a 27 Roadster to the fleet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:15 am:

So far this week is turning into a rough one. I finally got my back doing a little better and yesterday a toothache started. They're talking possible root canal tomorrow morning.

I haven't been able to work on any of the T's yet this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

A post script on my car show post earlier in this thread - as I was in the garage cleaning up Betsy after a morning drive today, a member of the Hillsboro chamber of commerce pulled into my driveway and gave me Betsy's first place trophy from Saturday's show!

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Mark - The trophy is "neat" and all, but to me, the fact that ol' Lizzie (or "Betsey" in this case) was obviously impressive to somebody is what's really "NEAT", and it's nice to know that among all of the hot rods, customs and muscle cars, there are still those folks around that appreciate what our old Fords are all about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

I agree, Harold - I have had folks come up to me at shows telling me that the only Model Ts they had seen before mine were hot rods and thanking me for leaving mine "stock". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

I performed some T meditation...

Just had a passing shower, and was about to get the T under cover when I decided to sit in the rear bench, put my legs up and enjoy the falling summer rain from under my soft top... It was a nice 10 minutes of gathering my thoughts.

Once the rain had passed, I toweled off the droplets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I will have to try that one day. That meditation sounds great. No shortage of rain here in Houston for the next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Finished the doors today.

I kept the number visible where ever they are on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

the coil box latch hole was too thick so I had to thin it out with a dremal. Thank God the dremal had the exact size and it fit perfectly into the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

three hub caps went on fine but the fourth one cost nearly $100 to get on. Thank God the thread chaser worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Robert - Just in case it seems to you like it's all of a sudden much easier to make friends within the Model T community, keep in mind that it just might be the "thread chaser" that's doing it,.....ha ha,.....harold ( ; ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

ha ha ha thanks Harold!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Last week I let reline the brakes,but they put on a line who was to thick. So I had to made a [jig] for the lathe to turn them down
Toon
0114S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:04 am:

HaHa. Perfect Harold - Robert I saw your post and I figured it was past time we met so (really it wasn't your thread chaser). I clicked on your profile and said "ooooohh goody" when I saw just at the bottom of the screen "Bel Air". Then I scrolled down and saw "Maryland". Dang it - not CA

Today I sure was TIRED. yuk yuk :D

Had 6 clinchers de-mounted, then I de-mounted 4 split rims, bought 4 brand new straight-sided tires, re-stacked all the tires around the house, removed 2 front wheels for new wood
rims
tires1tires2

Look MOM No Hands.....I can Fly !!
flying

Then got it all loaded to hit the sandblaster and wheelman tomorrow.
loaded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:11 am:

Is this what you call a "ground up restoration"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Yesterdays progress at Derrick's garage, Almost ready for starting. Installed new steel gas line and gas shutoff, pulled /cleaned/reinstalled sediment bulb. Packed Ujoint,hooked up wires,flushed junk in radiator,pulled off radius rod(ball badly worn)sanded/painted replacement radius rod,hooked up wires. Installed manifolds and rebuilt carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 03:10 am:

Drove a big 90-mile looping route - Picked up 2 housings from Tin Shed that Loco Larry straightened; set off for Wheel Guy Dave to drop off 2 wheels and pick up 2 other wheels; then off to sandblaster to drop off housings, 10 rims and a firewall. Back of the truck is empty. Now I'm making my Chaffin's shopping list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 05:15 am:

I started on dis-assembling the motor and trans mission from my 1925 roadster project, and made a few discoveries.
First, there was no Bendix assembly on the starter motor. Once the transmission cover was off, it revealed a pressed steel double stacked magneto coilplate with bolt on spools. The transmission drums look good, but the whole trans is earlier than 1925, having no ring gear and brass magnet keepers with parallel sides. Then I found the first gear and brake bands were lined with hard linings with sintered brass embedded. No wonder it was set up with an external chain drive magneto.

When was that type of coilplate used? Likewise, when were the tubular brass keepers, without the usual feet, used?

Allan from down under.

Now I have to get the pan off and see what other surprised there are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:18 am:

Painted my oil pan for the two cylinder T engine last night, but in the process, carelessly knocked over the quart of paint which then fell 3 feet to the floor and proceeded to make one heck of a mess. I was covered down one side, soaked through my clothes to my skin, the floor was covered, some lead cords on the floor got splattered, it was bad. So about 45 minutes later I had it cleaned up, and finished painting with what was left in the can. The basement floor has a nice stained spot on it now, but I am not too concerned. I would have been really mad if it happened in the garage or out on the driveway.

And here I was concerned that I was going to have a lot of wasted paint leftover that would go bad.

I have a friend that calls these types of incidents "Grand Finales"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Made a freeze plug out of an old nickel and stopped a water leak. Also fixed an ignition short and the popping and banging stopped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Looking good, Derrick, Martin, and George, please be sure to take and post a video of the first fire-up! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Today I installed the can carrier I finished and painted yesterday.
Went to town and filled the cans. Two gallons, two gallons, and three gallons. At least in the fuel department, I'm ready for a trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I took the wife out for prime rib as it's 49 years today! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Silly question - what fluid is supposed to go in each color of can?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Answered my own question:

https://books.google.com/books?id=P1hLAAAAYAAJ&lpg=RA2-PA179&ots=tiuYNSu-8t&dq=T he%20Boyle-Dayton%20Company&pg=RA5-PA121#v=onepage&q=The%20Boyle-Dayton%20Compan y&f=true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

In my case all three cans are gas. I'll have a gallon jug of water and two or three quarts of oil in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Went out to the shop and bolted in the firewall and steering column. Fired up the engine and sure enough, there was that damn knock again. I shorted 1,2&4 and the knock persisted. Shorted #3 and the knock got quiet. So I spent a few minutes using the language I learned years ago that is appropriate for these trying times. Then I quieted my anger, picked the tools up and tried to understand why after pulling the rod, straightening it, re-babbiting it and resetting the bearing clearance, adjusting the side clearance and assuring the wrist pin clearance was correct it could still be knocking. Then I listened as the engine got up to operating temperature and the knock disappeared. So, now I'm interested to know if a "cold" engine will have the knock or if it's actually gone. Or, did that goofy rod wear itself in to whatever condition it needs to be in to finally not knock anymore? I'm still a little suspicious regarding the clearance on that darn wrist pin but, at this point in time, after all this cussing and throwing tools and screaming at that old car, I'm ready to drive it for awhile and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:15 am:

Kenneth - Congratulations on 49 years - WoW !! That's impressive :-)

Chad - I spilled a gallon of paint once - it fell off a bench, hit the floor, spread and splattered all over (and on me). A big mess - IN THE LIVING ROOM. There's still white paint in the area rug.

Steve - the Boyco's look fantastic, nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Finally! The past couple days I have had a few minutes here and there to tinker on the T! I finally rewound the one coil I needed to repair the magneto field coil. Got it wrapped, sealed, and installed, and soldered in. It is a complete unit again! I was trying to get this done this past February. (I actually started working on this silly thing about eight years ago when sorting out a good field coil for the mostly '13 speedster.) This one goes into the '15 runabout now.
Yesterday, I connected a battery to the field coil. All the polarities alternated properly and all the 16 points had good pull.
Now I need to finish putting the engine together.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Installed my doors and most of the rear sheet metal. Trying to getting every thing to fit correctly. The right front pillar had a slight warp to it and was causing some binding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Well I got one picture in the right orientation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 06:15 am:

Yesterday was a step backwards on the two cylinder build. I installed a new crank bushing in the nose of the pan only to realize that area was bent and about a half inch off in relation to the crankshaft (it was bent down in front). So out came the small map gas torch and after a while I managed to get the thing straighter, however at the cost of a bushing, and the fresh paint on the pan. And because it was blazing hot outside, I worked in the much cooler basement, but managed to fill it up with nasty smoke from burning everything off.

Today I will install another bushing, and hopefully all will be well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Made my first long Model T drive. I'll post separately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Finally got the 23 out of it's winter storage. Fired up on the 3rd pull. added a bit of air to the tires and drove it to work this morning. To church later today. Just enjoying the sound of the engine and the wind in what hair I have left. I hope to install the dual exhaust and trade out the NH for the OF on the 26 for the NY tour this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I did weed whacking, lawn edging, and bushing trimming! Now, time to take in the Indy 500......

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 01:46 am:

Gave the "Ol' Girl" it's annual 2month bath, then ran a few errands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:14 am:

Friday picked up a truck load from the sandblaster - shout out to my friend Whitney at Zinc Nation who did a great job.
Saturday went to our Long Beach Club Model T Garage then purchased primer and paint, set up the paint stand and started priming. The 2 new split rims arrived from Layten Butler so it's back to Zinc Nation on Tuesday.
Sunday finished priming my heart out and painting my fingers off.
4 split rims, 6 clinchers, and a partridge in a pear tree....

primedpainted

I discovered 1 of my clincher rims is a Firestone rim. The others are the Hayes type.

firestone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:04 am:

A very, very rainy day here today.
Good time to catch up with some "small" jobs.
Just finished the repair of a generator for someone in Germany.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Installed one of Stan Howes OF carbs on my 24 coupe. WOW what a difference,from 40 MPH with a NH strait thru to 50 MPH with the OF.Runs better at idle and has better pick up and top end than the NH. I think I'll get one for all my 'Ts'. Thanks Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Sorted nuts.

This evening I took Nala for her first roadster ride.

She's used to riding in the touring, but hadn't been in the roadster before. She didn't want to get in, but when we got home she didn't want to get out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rusty Berg - West Bloomfield, MI on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

I decided to take the speedster for a cruise down Woodward Avenue (starting at Lone Pine road in Birmingham, Michigan). In passing through Highland Park on my return, I decided to quickly take a picture in front of the old (Fordson?) administration building. A lot of thumbs up received from many different people.

Speedster_admin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

In the earlier pictures, Nala looked like she was still missing somebody. Now it looks like you and the model Ts are winning her over!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Played around with the touring car for awhile. I've never owned a Model T that has the kind of power this car has. It's still got the knock. Dropped the bottom inspection pan, again. Checked bearing clearances again. Checked side clearance on the rods, again. Checked cylinder walls and wrist pin clearance, again. I checked all that and it's all still in spec. So, I was laying on the creeper, just about sleeping. It felt good lying in that cool garage with the fan blowing. Bobo was laying on the rug by the door and just a few drops of oil dripped down on my cheek. I looked up into the engine just as I was closing my eyes and there, I saw it. That rear main bearing just didn't look right. It looked like it's got a small divot that's been beat into it by the back lobe of the cam. I could see fresh shiny brass. Have I found an important clue? Perhaps! Time will tell!

So I pulled the sedan out of the shed tonight and drove around for about an hour. Filled it with gas and tomorrow it's getting lubed, washed and shined up. If, that is, I can find some paint that shines. Then Wednesday morning I'm taking it out for breakfast with some of the club members.

Looked the speedster over today. Everything looks good. It could use some cleaning. I noticed all three soft plugs are seeping a bit so I ordered some.

All in all it was a Model T Memorial Day. I visited with a couple of my veteran friends. We told a few war stories and made mention of those that are no longer with us. God Bless America. May we always be free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 01:01 am:

It's finally sunny in the Pac-N/W today! Got the '11 Torpedo out (first time this year) and went for about a 20 mile run. Swung by the cemetery where my dad is (WWII- 82nd Airborne) and then came home, got the '15 Dodge Bros. out and went for another drive. After that, it was time to mow the back hay field, expecting next (4) days in high 70's-80's (of course now the hay is mowed, a rain front is sure to come in.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 02:47 am:

Michael G, Just a thought. Ford changed the front camshaft bearing and cam lobe around 1924 (I think????). There are several ways to mix up cams, bearings and blocks. At least one combination will allow the camshaft to move forward and backward resulting in a knock. Unfortunately (and I do hate to admit this), I am not sure enough about what I think I know to tell you exactly how to tell which part may be wrong. (But I think it is the short version bearing mixed with the short version cam-lobe which needs the longer version bearing instead?)
Just a thought.

And while I have fifteen more minutes of Memorial day left (California time), let me say "THANK YOU MY FRIEND FOR THE SERVICE YOU PROVIDED TO THIS GREAT NATION!!!"
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Busy Day - - Primed the large rear end housings. The housings had been hot dipped but we had trouble pushing a rod through to hang them up. There was still a mess of what looked like an old rag inside. It would only come out in shreds and it had the loose weave of old gauze - maybe an old type of seal or packing?

axle stand housings

Picked up wheels with the new spokes from Dave Seiler, Wheel Guy. Thanks Dave they are absolutely gorgeous!! Spent a little time with Dave and his wife. Got a little tour of Dave's shop and his nifty stuff and the neat wooden cars he builds.

4 wheels

Got home and followed Dave's directions to apply boiled linseed oil.

half wheels olied

While I was picking up the wheels. My husband drained the gas in the Roadster and helped out by changing out gas tank. He's a great guy ;)

gas

Then I cleaned up a bit of the garage. organized a bit locating some stuff for this week and to get ready for Montana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 07:50 am:

A common aftermarket item was large, thick felt seals in the rear axle housings. Maybe what you found was the hot-dipped remains of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Wayne Sheldon, thank you!

Regarding camshaft/bearing issue. I took today off from Model T's to spend time with my goofy dog. We made to the river for a quick albeit cold dip. Labs, love that cold water.

Tomorrow is a breakfast tour with the local club, then, maybe, if the ambition is there and the stars align, I'll start tearing into the motor to expose the timing gears and determine just how much I don't know.

The motor is a fresh (and might I add somewhat amateurish) 1924 rebuild that I'm trying to save. You might be onto something. I'll leave the forum now and do some investigating. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I read my May/June issue of Vintage Ford that just arrived in the mail today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I like to drive with the top up, but after my weekend off-road mishap I need to have it down until I fix this.

So, using an original kindly lent by Gary Paulsen for a pattern, I finished up my new straps.

My straps from the local saddle shop are slightly thicker than the originals, but not enough to notice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Looks just fine to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:10 am:

It's Summer - you don neeed no stinkin top :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:34 am:

I Looked at the caster on my son's Model T's front axle to figure out why the steering was so squirrely when I drove them in their wedding on Saturday.

I then I realized one of the groomsmen left something on in my Model A and managed to discharge my brand new Optima battery. I'm still trying to resurrect it.

And then I argued with Tire Man when they said they couldn't flip my whitewalls to the inside because the tires on my new old car are ancient. So I came back home and worked on the heater and found loose stuff inside it and now it works. So, I'll have a working heater in time for the Motor Muster. Hopefully my new tires are on their way from Summit today and I'll have a rolling car again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Bill Harper it was great meeting you at Bernardston on Saturday. Thanks again for digging out that low shell - already straightened the sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Changed my calendar to June.
Oh, and pickling the '15's pan in the electrolysis tank to remove rust on a third of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

A few days ago I emptied the last of my four gas containers.
It's real handy to take the touring T to my favorite gas station for filling........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Hi Ron,

It was good to meet you as well. I am pleased that the shell is going to work out for you. Perhaps I shall see you again at the Orange Gas Engine show. Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration