Nickel plating steering case and control rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Nickel plating steering case and control rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I managed to disassemble the steering column on my 1926 coupe, and I am looking at having the nickel plating redone.

It appears that the control rods may have been removed before, because the brass fingers have slight cracks. I am a little worried about heating these and bending them, risking breaking them off. I was considering annealing them and then soldering the cracks before attempting to bend them open.

Also- were the entire control rods nickel-plated, or just a few inches? What was the finish on the rods exposed in the engine bay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

It is a good idea to heat those fingers as they are prone to breaking off. I use a thin chisel and "peal " them open,very carefully.The rods were plated only at the top6-8 inches. Once you get them out,it is a good time to build up where they wear.I weld a cam on mine and dress it off,so they work on quadrant better. Platters will sometimes want to plate the whole rod,but if you wrap electrical tape where you don't want plating it will leave the ron bare steel.I believe this was original ,although most folks just paint it black.HTH.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration