Ruckstell Spider?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruckstell Spider?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:14 am:

Is the Ruckstell spider different than the standard Ford spider? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:41 am:

The Ruckstell spider has the ends ground off so it will go inside the bell. The first Ruckstell kits didn't have the shorter version, the later ones had it included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Stan, are you referring to the Chaffin kits, or the Ruckstell kits from the '20s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Thanks Stan. I went to put a new spider in my Ruckstell and the thing was hanging out the side! Now I know I'm not crazy. Can they be cut with carbide tools? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Larry, the original kits. The first Ruckstell kits had instructions to grind off the ends of the spider to fit is what I've been told. I've torn down several that looked like they were done pretty crudely.

Pat, what I have found to be the easiest is to assemble the spider in the carrier and just grind the ends down with a flap disk on a side grinder. Ten minute job on a slow day. Obviously, douche it pretty good before you final assemble it to get the grinding dust gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Thanks again Stan, PK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Here are some photos of the difference.

Be_Zero_Be

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration