OT - Pembina, North Dakota: Ford Model K (and later an early Model T)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Pembina, North Dakota: Ford Model K (and later an early Model T)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:25 am:

I'm somewhat surprised at the early cars that made their way to far northern and western U.S. and Canadian regions. This begins in Pembina, N.D., on the Canadian border:

In late June of 1908 the local newspaper reports several local residents are preparing to buy automobiles. It appears cars are about to make an appearance in this northeastern N.D. town:

One of those buying a new motor car is Mr. F. C. Warner. He and his wife ordered a "forty horse Ford touring car" equipped "with about three hundred dollars (of) extras:"

On July 24, 1908 the paper reports three new cars in Pembina, the Warner's forty horse Ford, a twenty horsepower Maxwell light touring and two seat Olds:

On the same day an advertisement for Brush automobiles along with a note about Judge Vick's new Maxwell:

In early August, the Warner's plan a lengthy trip with their new Ford:

Next, details of the trip, with observations by the reporter concerning automobiles. The beginning of the "Model T era" is only a few months away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Rob Thanks for reminding us how it was back then!! I wonder if Ford used the results of using a mag on the model K and 640 for a reason to build in a mag on the model T?? Opp's,never mind i'll just run to the corner dollar store and buy some dry cells!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Bud,
I suspect, but have no proof, that Ford originally intended to use an external magneto on the Model T when it was first advertised and shown at a few auto shows in late 1907. Henry Ford had applied for and was about to receive patent on the magneto used on the Model K and the six cylinder racer. The one remaining six cylinder prototype engine used with an NRS chassis has a pad and entry point for an external mag.

Back to the Warner's trip. Mr. Warner and portions of two other families took the Model K,,while the remainder of the 13 person party took a train, on a two week camping trip:

The second half of the article discusses the pleasure of an automobile trip through Minnesota's lake country (reminds me of the New London to New Brighton tour) and the rigors of the 1,000 mile journey:

That fall, Ford Motor Company advertised for an agent in Pembina:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:15 am:

This June 1909 advertisement in the Pembina newspaper gives interesting insights about how people travelled as the motor car came on the scene. In addition to replacing the horse for local travel and moving freight, the other major carrier of people and freight were the railroads. This article looks similar to an advertisement today for an air carrier. Non-stop (without change) destinations include Chicago to Minneapolis, Fargo, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha and many other cities.

The Pembina Agent? F. C. Warner:

Meanwhile, the Warner's again are touring with their car in 1909:

A group of automobiles passed through Pembina in August, 1909, traveling from Winnipeg to St. Paul. Makes included Cadillac, McClaughlin Buick's, Olds, Russel and a $5,000 Royal Tourist.

Another small article at the bottom mentions that the farmer's wife to drive a car to town occured:

When the tour returns through Pembina, a Model T is included. This 1909 T and owner, Mr. Adams, have suffered during the run:

The Model T may have looked something like Constantine's 13 T as he travelled north across Africa and the Persian Gulf.....

Next, the Warner's position in the community.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:13 am:

I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm very familiar with the towns mentioned and the modern roads that run between them. For example, a modern car can make the trip along I94 from Minneapolis to Fergus Falls in about 2.5 hours. St. Cloud is the home of the World's oldest Ford dealership. Tenvoorde Ford was in business for six years before this trip took place.

Early in the post, you mentioned a 20 hp. '08 Maxwell. Here's a photo of one. Interestingly, this original car has spent it's whole life in North Dakota. It's probably been to Pembina.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Oops! The photo didn't post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Eric,
Thanks for the post. I like the four cylinder Maxwell's quite a lot. On the Antique Car Run (New London to New Brighton at our) I always look forward to seeing Jim and Nancy, and there 1908 four cylinder Maxwell.

I thought of you and our other Minnesota friends while putting this together. When I mapquest the towns and lakes the Model K trip encountered, I only came up with around 500 miles. However the reporter said it was a 1000 miles. Maybe it was, because of the routes and retracing routes necessary to drive to those places in 1908.

In September 1909, the Warner's prepare to move to the Minneapolis. The following articles cover the upcoming move, and provide information of F. C. Warner's business background:

As it turns out, the Warner's returned to Pembina and continued to operate their farm several years later. I was not able to learn when the Model K leaves their possession, or what cars they owned later. Just another early Ford story....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

The Maxwell D that Jim used to own is a 4 cylinder, 40 hp. Car. We may or may not see it on the NLNB anymore. It moved to Wisconsin last month.

The car pictured, belongs to Bob Long. It's a 2 cylinder 20 hp. If memory serves, it's 5" bore, 5" stroke. The chassis and body are very similar to the Model D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Eric,
Sorry to hear Jim sold their Maxwell, what a great car. I thought the one you posted earlier looked shorter and smaller. Jim told me several years ago they would part with their big Maxwell at some point and still tour with another (two cylinder Max?).

See you in a few months,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 02:20 am:

Yes, they'll still tour with their '11 AB Maxwell. They've done the NLNB run with it several times. It's a two-cylinder runabout similar to my '08 LC. They're already registered for this year's run.

Several years ago, Jim let me drive his AB. I was hooked immediately. That experience, coupled with the high prices commanded for pre-T Fords, led to my decision to buy a Maxwell when I was looking for a NLNB eligible car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Eric,
You must be working the late shift...... :-)

I'm happy to hear Jim and Nancy will continue touring with us at NLNB, and hope the big red (go Huskers....) Maxwell still shows up on the run. The Ford's and Maxwell's are enjoying a nice rivalry on the tour, and I hope you "cylinder deprived" Maxwell types are able to keep your numbers up.

When I began the New London tour years ago there were many more Maxwells than Fords, but the last few years we have outnumbered all makes. And if we're counting cylinders.........

This year we hope to have three Model K on the tour, along with several NRS and A, and an F, R and C. Now if we could only find a Model B.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration