UPS is going crazy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: UPS is going crazy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

They just sent me this new update, Bob

Effective June 6, 2016*, UPS is changing the measurement that determines whether the UPS Additional Handling charge will be applied to UPSŪ Ground services packages in the U.S.

Any package with the longest side exceeding 48 inches, instead of 60 inches, will be assessed the fee.** The Additional Handling fee of $10.50 remains the same. The change does not impact UPS Air or International shipments. This change is being implemented due to the additional handling required for these types of packages in the UPS network.

For additional information, visit ups.com/rates. The updated 2016 UPS Rate and Service Guide will be available to download on June 6, 2016.

We appreciate the business you entrust to UPS and we look forward to continuing to provide you with great solutions at competitive prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Bob, Time to sign up with FedEx Ground. Go to their website and compare fees... Not sure if it is a great deal all over the USA, but here in the Midwest it seems to be the best deal.

UPS's target customer these days is shipping a few thousand packages a day and they have much different fees.

And if you are properly set up, you can ship directly out of QuickBooks at an even better rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

you would think they would be reducing rates with gas prices cut in half for this long period of time! I still think the USPS rates are the best and I've never had a problem with their services.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

FedEx is not only the best deal here in California but the best service by a mile.

UPS " service office" has short weekday hours
Fedex Office open 24-7

UPS would not open an account since I do not have a "business store front" for them to pick up at daily
Fedex was happy to open an account for discounted rates

UPS has a poor time consuming computer system in their lobby that must be used if you do not have an account
Fedex account system allows me to make out the shipping label and pay here at home computer

UPS simply does not want my business and intentionally makes it hard to use them.

Adam is on the mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

USPS works best for me only on small packages ( example their "flat rate boxes") going out of state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

At least UPS actually delivers packages to your door. I don't think FedEx even stops. They throw the package behind the fence next to the driveway and call it done. (No gate here.) The package just sits there available to anyone passing on the state highway until you happen to check the tracking and go fetch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Fedex ground was used by a ebayer that I bought a 63 Falcon door from. The box looked like it had been thru a shredder but the door was ok. I don't know what they charged to bring that door from Washington state to here but I was charged a 100 bucks for shipping. I was glad it was for someone else and they were ok with it. I would have give the seller a nick on his little star rating if it were mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Really? FexEx here puts the package on my doorstep or in the secure package delivery box next to the shop and immediately sends me an email saying it was delivered and at which place, the steps or the shop. So does UPS. USPS guy leaves the boxes at the door or the shop or in the secure box. Never have a problem with any of them. For shipping out, USPS is far handier for me, I can print the label in less than 2 minutes, have a tracking number and they pick it up at the mailbox or I can take it to the Post Office by 6. They also deliver on Saturday which UPS and FEDEX don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

They all have their problems, but I go with Fedex and USPS because of the better rates. I think the style of delivery (in the bushes, on the porch, etc.) is like registering a new T at the DMV. Depends on who you get. USPS rates are good for small stuff, but be aware that unless you're shipping a store-bought item and have a receipt for it, their insurance is a waste of money. No receipt? They'll tell you (politely) to go to Hell. VOE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Hey Bob, I got the tank in good shape. I'm sure the large 35 pound box required extra charges (UPS $61.00). I should have given you my shop address and I wouldn't have had to pay the residential fees. They left the box at the door. Thanks, It's always a pleasure doing business with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

After UPS broke a well packed case iron skillet I have use USPS or FedEx with few problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

I suspect UPS really wants to just handle volume commercial shipping to other commercial destinations. Business pay far less to ship UPS than non-commercial customers. If I ship UPS I have to use the drop at the local hardware store an they tack on their percentage to the bill. Fed Ex only has a drop box for pre-paid packages near me. So I primarily use USPS. There are limited alternatives here in the jack pines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I dropped UPS years ago and never looked backed
Bad service damage and costs drove me away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:05 am:

I worked for UPS and saw how they handle the packages. That was the end of using UPS for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Robert,

Update .....

To keep up with the changing times, I am now factoring it your Zodiac sign along with the current ambient temperature of where I happen to be at any given moment, combined with the market value of soybeans to determine transport cost ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:00 am:

I like USPS but after two or three pounds if you do not used flat rate boxes, the prices go crazy, What gets me is going from 60" to 48" now if you buy an exhaust pipe it cost more than the pipe it self, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:26 am:

FedEx typically drops any packages at the base of my RFD mailbox post out by the street. UPS brings them to the door. If a package will fit into our mailbox, that's where USPS puts it, otherwise it will be left by the box. If it looks like rain, USPS always wraps the package in plastic bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:10 am:

I'm lucky; I live in a rural area with a contracted mail carrier, husband and wife, they live a few miles further up the road from us, and will leave packages on the porch, behind the garbage can so anyone passing buy doesn't see it.
UPS and FEDEX both leave packages on the porch, in front of the door. But that is visible from the road. RATS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 04:19 am:

I don't even bother to purchase products that don't have free shipping anymore, unless Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes are available. I can't spend several thousand dollars a year on parts and an equal amount on shipping. It does not compute. I build a car a year, with parts I don't or cannot fabricate gotten from all over. This problem will kill this hobby and the businesses that rely on it sure as H*LL. If I owned an internet business I would be sweating bullets. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 07:31 am:

I bought a car in California. I had the chance to also buy some rare parts for the car. During the negotiation with the seller I indicated that I would be trying to get a national corporation here in North Carolina handle the shipping from dock to dock as the total weight would be in the neighborhood of 500 pounds. While I was negotiating the shipment. The son-in-law packed the parts and shipped them via FEDEX. The estimate of cost was to be $508.00. I had no choice because the parts were shipped. After 3 weeks I got a bill from FEDEX for $1800.00. I called the FEDEX problem number and was told that the weight was higher than the estimate and the delivery was to my residence and not to a dock. The person I talked to offered to cut the fee to $850.00 dollars without my arguing the issue. I told him that upon delivery, I drove my tractor to the end of my driveway and we "pushed the package,(skid)" on to my front end loader. That should be no different than a dock unload. He then said that the extra weight had to be accounted for. I said I wondered if the extra weight came from someone standing on the skid as it was being weighed. I asked if the person weighing the skid was approximately 182 pounds. He asked why I would think that. I said that there was a clear set of foot prints on the top of the skid. No comment from him. I finally settled the bill at $750.00 just to get away from the FEDEX company. Will I use FEDEX again? NEVER!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 07:37 am:

David you are "LUCKY" if anybody ships me anything via FED(UP)EX I have to go to their office to pick it up (about 15 miles away) so I avoid them to the greatest extent possible and I am about to pull up my mailbox since we got a new letter carrier that seems to take great delight in putting mail in the closest box weather it goes to that address or not. UPS at least leaves the package at my door which cannot be seen from the road :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 06:07 am:

Hate to hear it. I like UPS. FedEx delivery service sucks in my area. I live on a dirt road. I've lived there 12 years now. It has NEVER ONCE been impassable due to rain. Not even in low ground clearance modern cars. On SEVERAL occasions lately, my packages that were to be delivered by FedEx were late, their tracking system citing "Weather". My first thought was bad weather on the shipping end, as sometimes the packages were coming from up North and maybe there was snow..... But after a couple of times of the tracking info saying my package was "Out for Delivery" and it not showing up and then the tracking info updated to "Delayed due to weather", I knew it was on my end. So when one package finally showed up I questioned the delivery person about it. She tells me that they aren't allowed to go up any dirt roads if it is raining. I told her it didn't rain yesterday. She says "Yeah, but it was forecasted to rain, so they told us not to deliver on any dirt roads." JEEZ!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

This UPS delivery guy that I have has a bad attitude. I used to use UPS all the time, mainly because they were teamsters, now since they got out of the so called teamster contract they were in and other union co. Falling by the wayside, Teamsters cut my pension almost in half. After 36 yrs. So forget the union dedication. Anything goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Sad part is UPS delivers both Fedex and United Parcel if the two companies believe it would not be profitable to deliver depending on the size of the package and the route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Does UPS still drop off some packages at the post office for them to deliver to the final destination? I used to get some packages that way, but not lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 09:21 am:

After having a recent package lost I found out that FedEx home delivery in my area is by independent contract. The fellow shows up in a FedEx shirt but his truck is his private vehicle. His attitude sucks and he will drop off a package at the front gate even when it is open. Too lazy to drive the 800 feet to my front door. I read that Amazon is getting into the delivery business at first for their own packages and later on packages in general so maybe the extra competition will get the other services in gear.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 01:30 am:

Michael:

I am fairly certain that FEDEX GROUND service has been by independent contractors for a long time. The trucks paint job and other standards that the whole service must meet are set by FEDEX but in truth the quality varies a lot. I switched from FEDEX to UPS because of overall cost and ended up using UNISHIPPERS to get really good UPS rates without having the daily pickup. It may be time to switch back. I have been back and forth several times as each of the companies became problematic in ways that I couldn't deal with. I do use USPS a lot and most packages go that way to individual locations but dealer orders are larger and go UPS typically.

I get balled out for the high shipping costs of small orders but it is really hard to find a good reliable cheap service for shipping things. I had an email recently asking for the total cost to ship one single capacitor across the pond to a foreign country. I had to respond that I simply was not going to figure out the cost since there was no way I could ship one part like that across the pond. I tried to be respectful but the gal that works for me would be paid more than I could charge to ship out the thing so I just think at some point people just have to learn that I can't pay someone to figure out foreign shipping rates and then pull one part and package it up and then process a payment and record it for tax purpose and do all that and then lose money on the total transaction. Clearly the customer is not going to actually place the order once they get the price but I will still have to pay my gal for the time she spends doing that estimate.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration