Optima cranking power

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Optima cranking power
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 07:35 am:

At 800CCA does the Optima 6V battery have too much cranking power for a stock Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 08:12 am:

The battery rating is what the battery is capable of, the actual current draw is based on the load. The battery will not provide any more current than the starter draws. It will be fine.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:19 am:

They are real nice! No water filling, don't even have to trickle charge, use them on my T's :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:32 am:

I can't attest to the cranking power as my Speedster has no starter. I will say that an Optima battery I was given 15 years ago is still working well. The car is only driven a few times a year and I don't charge it as I should in between. It has out lasted the tractor batteries in my other cars by about 3 to 1. I'm still to cheap to buy one but the free one was well worth the money. :0{

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Richard:

Thanks for posting the photo of the yellow top 6 volt optima battery.

I am intrigued by the battery as optima does not show on their website that they manufacture a yellow top 6 volt. Obviously, once upon a time they did so.

How old is your battery?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks gents. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

In my opinion I believe they charge a little too much for what you get in a six volt battery. The six volt one has three cells and the 12 volt one has six cells. They charge the same for either battery. They could run a six volt in two banks of parallel cells and give you twice the battery amperage and so twice the cranking amps. They make a lot of money on their six volt battery while only giving you half as much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Timothy, I believe it was 2001. The battery was new. It would be 15 years old now.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Rob,
Several of us up here in Queensland use Optima's I have 2 John Page has one so do a couple of A owners. Absolutely no need for 12 volts T's start so well with an Optima you would think they were 12 volt. Amazingly you never need to charge them, I use my 25 pickup every day for often very short runs & it never fails to start. Highly recommendable.
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

"Amazingly you never need to charge them"

Sounds like perpetual motion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I put one in for the simple reason that my aftermarket pickup bed does not have a hole to access the battery. I have to unbolt and slide the bed back to access it. Now I don't have to check it. It fits nicely on the diagonal as others have shown. I had to put a block of wood under it to raise where the cables would reach it. Then I cut a piece of rubber to lay over the tope of it to prevent it bouncing and hitting the top of the box. I am very happy with it. I am running a voltage regulator with it and it seems a good combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Steve, modifying your bed to tilt will fix that problem. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:49 am:

I've been thinking about an Optima for my starterless '14.

Did you guys who never trickle charge your batteries rig it to charge from your magneto while driving? What would that even look like? Was that built into the system by Ford?

Tell me if I'm wrong but doesn't the magneto put out DC current? If so, is it changed to AC in the coil on the way to the spark plug?

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on May 08, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

The magneto puts out AC. The later generator starting in 1919 put out DC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:10 am:

quote:

The magneto puts out AC.

This is interesting, John. So the magneto produces AC to drive the spark plugs through the coils. The battery puts out DC to fire the spark plugs through the coils that are apparently inverting DC to AC for this.

Am I getting that right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Jesse- that is why a magneto fired ignition system is far superior to any other type of ignition system, in a Model T, anyway.

Now, if this statement doesn't get a war started- nothing will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:47 am:

The trembler coils don't invert. They just use current.

The coils are designed to fire best, and points wear longer on then AC wave form put out by the magneto. A good magneto can throw 22-30+ volts AC to the trembler coil, they love that!

But they can fire on DC voltage from a storage battery. DC current can on higher voltage, like 12vDC, cause more rapid wear on the coil points. And at 6v DC, the coil output isn't optimum for higher rpms on the open road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Mark
That is a nice bed!

I had an Optima in a Porsche 356 that just sat in the garage for long periods. I liked the Optima for two reasons. It discharges slowly when just sitting. Slower than a lead acid battery. You do have to charge it periodically.
The Porsche had the battery in the front and the starter in the rear which meant a long cable.
The Optima has a lower internal resistance which meant a lower total resistance in the starter circuit. This made the starter turn up to a higher RPM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

I also use an Optima in my model T. They can fail as my first one failed in the first week on a model T tour after I bought it (Only Time) on the trouble trailer. That's one draw back when not having the original mag. Costco replaced it and no more problems with over 5 years use. No Acid corrosion problems like I had with standard lead acid batteries. I have heard that if the Optima lasts for the first month, they will last for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I use a 6 volt optima in my Mercury for space considerations. My 14 with no starter gets a dry cell every year or year and a half

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Whoa here, some of you are saying you never charge these battery's?? How are you not charging them?

I was told they could not be left uncharged and that driving short trips would not charge them back well. A 80 mile drive in my modern car with a high output alternator still left my 12 volt red top battery showing weak at the store I bought it from and the alternator was shown as working perfect. I was told, "take it home and charge it a couple days. They have to be slow charged,trickle charged".
So I am really stumped how you guys are getting these battery's to work without charging them.That goes completely against what a worker at Battery's plus and the Advance store manager told me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Mark,
I have an external mounted alternator on my T to keep the battery charged. If the car has not been run for several months I put a battery charger/maintainer on it to keep the battery charged. I also question how any battery would work without charging at some point??? You just can not keep taking power out without charging to keep the operating level up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 09:16 am:

My 15 year old Optima does get a charge from the generator when I drive it. It may be a dozen hours a year. Occasionally it sits for a year or two without charge. I have put a charger on it a few times. All I can say is it still works.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

My experience is now 3 years on Optima 6v Red Tops. Bought all at vendor who makes southeast swap meets. The batteries are marked 'Blem' but they keep on volting! :-) Cost is now $90 for one.

Bought this special charger for the Optima, but its still in this box, don't have to use it yet. The batteries are fine, all the T's have Fun Project voltage regulators, and Ford T generators, that is all that I do now. No cares, no water, no trickle charging!

Optima web info on charging, but have not had to re-charge now in several years.

OPTIMA® REDTOP® Charging Information

The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life. Always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

REDTOP® Type: 6V
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep-cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
•6.65 to 7.5 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:
•6.9 to 7.5 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for 6-12 hours.

Rapid Recharge:
•Maximum 7.8 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float Charge:
•6.6 to 6.9 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

Strictly adhere to all limits.

Safety Information:
•Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
•Always use a voltage-regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
•Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

Just got this one last month for latest project, be about a year I guess before using it, pretty dang sure it will be fine without taking the charger out of the box to add juice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Dan Treace - Hi Dan! Please don't take this as criticism as I am only trying to be helpful. I have several vehicles with Optima batteries and I could not be more pleased with them. You are obviously also an Optima "fan" as well, but twice on this thread, you have remarked,..."no trickle charging". Also, Doug Partington said,..."you never need to charge them." I think you guys should be a bit more specific as people (Jesse Ashcroft for one) are taking you literally, thinking that you mean that you NEVER have to charge Optima batteries. Of course that is not quite true, and I'm sure that what you meant was that Optima batteries do not have to be charged nearly as often as conventional batteries. Am I right? Again, only trying clarify something that's a bit misleading,......FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

I think what Dan is saying is, if you have a generator fitted on you T we find that we have not needed to charge our Optima batteries.
That has been the case both with Doug and myself at this stage of our experience . Of course if it is not being topped up while you are using it that is a different story. ( Eg: NO GENERATOR non. starter cars )

I also have a F.P. regulator fitted to my generator.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Harold

Yes. Same as John posted. I run my T's. Pretty lot. Some will sit for 3-4 mos. Then run. Just have been doing that for 3 years now. No trickle or float charging done.

Now with the std. lead acid batteries prior, always trickle charged, added water every 3 or so months as in hot FL in my garage, those lead acid batteries lost water and none lasted more than 3 years.

My golf cart is the same, have to add water and top off every quarter, its sits with the T's. Put its charger on the six big 6v lead acid batteries after using the cart. Then each mo. re-charge if haven't run it for a while.

But with the Optima T's, don't re-charge or add water. Been doing that for 3 years now and successful. For me the Optima are great. Maybe others can't do this, if you let them sit a cold long hard northern winter!
But for N. FL, these Optima's are my joy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Here is some warranty info for Optima batteries from the net.

Optima has a 36 month warranty on ALL their batteries no matter what size or color. The 36 months starts from the date you PURCHASE it so keep your sales receipt, Also the way they find your battery date of manufacturer is by the barcode tag on the side of the battery. the first 4-5 numbers are the year and the day of the year that the battery was made. Newer batteries have a Month/Year sticker on them too.

Example 10183XXXXXXXXXX this would be year 2010 -183 day of the year = July 2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration