1911 open runabout-Clear Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 open runabout-Clear Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Great pic Herb, here it is slightly cropped with enhanced contrast. What is the thing by the wall back behind the car?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Thanks for the great pic and enhancement guys. The steering column almost looks the same shade as the wheel (black), contrasting with the rest of the car color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

mark! its a well pump. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Looks like a chain pump for a cistern. Turning the crank moves a chain with little cups that bring the water up to the spout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Did you notice the p[instriping on the front axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Thought I'd try too, with Apple tools. Pretty car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

What a good picture. WhAt is on the running board? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

Looks like the acetylene generator. It works like a miner's head light. Drip water on calcium carbide crystals and you produce acetylene gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 06:03 am:

Hand brake lever seems awfully far back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Dane, the hand brake lever on a Torpedo / Open Runabout is bent rearward 22-degrees at the pawl pivot to accommodate the seat being moved further back than a standard production car. It would be rather difficult to reach in the forward position were it not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Not so much wash out above the top Hal. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Can anybody comment about the date of the NY license plate? It appears to be a fairly new car and it's rare to see one that hasn't had the tank moved forward and a tool box added to the deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Is this that car and him today?

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=roger_byrne-users

Sorry, Roger, I just couldn't resist the comparison... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Keith,
That's good...... :-)

Believe it or not, I owned Roger's car for a short time. I was moving in another direction, and the roadster needed a lot of TLC. Roger was able to take It where it needed to go (mechanically, cosmetically, etc.), and it is in a great home. Roger may, or nor appreciate it, but a great pic of a car he has done wonderful work with. I think the open roadster is a neat model, and one of the rare T styles you don't see often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Thanks, Rob.

Yes, the comparison of these two pictures is both interesting and amazing.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Here is a torpedo with the trunk on back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Herb,
Looks like both were stopped for speeding......
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Most Torpedos and Open Runabouts you see in photos today have a box added to the rear deck since they lack storage as compared to a touring car. As I understand it, they were not sold that way. The original position of the tank was further back and most people move the tank forward to accommodate a box.

I believe in 1912 that changed and on the Torpedo the box was standard equipment. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't studied 1912's in great detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

That's a good looking car in spite of the grumpy guy sitting behind the wheel. There has been some mechanical re-work plus a number of up-grades since I purchased it from Rob. Some of those cosmetic changes included the carbide generator, a full set of show grade lights, a correct "potato horn", a set of gray tires (that still need to be mounted) and a trunk box that may or may-not be installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Just an observation or question from me. But with the gasoline tank moved back behind the seat, there should be some storage under the seat. Now, that is sometimes inconvenient (especially with a passenger sitting on top of it). But if these cars did not come with the rear tool/trunk on the back, why do so many owners feel the need to add them. I know I have seen original era photos both with and without rear trunk boxes. Were some cars originally sold with tool boxes? Or were they all added after-market.
The 1911 torpedo and open runabouts are my favorite body styles for model Ts (from a looks standpoint). I think they are cute as the dickens and very sporty. A touring is much more practical, and standard runabouts are pretty nice also.
The photo originally posted by Herb is a wonderful picture. And the other restored car is extremely nice also. I don't think I will ever have one of these. I do have a '12 MIL roadster project pile. I doubt I will live long enough to get it restored. I have at least three cars ahead of it.
Thanks all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Wayne, I'm not the right person to answer your question about the area under the seat. The body on my car was built by Rootlieb. I is a very high quality reproduction and there is a small amount of room under the seat cushions for storage. However, I don't know if that is how the Ford made the body and maybe someone with an original car can answer your question. From everything I've ever read, the 1911 Torpedo and Open Runabouts did not come from the factory with a trunk in back and the trunk was not added until the re-design version in 1912 model year.

Below are some photos of the rear area of my car. Before the comment is made, yes, it has a later 13-14 rearend in the car plus the engine is a 1912 so while looking good, it is not a true 1911 car . . but a pretty close representation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Roger, Your car is a really beautiful car, period. I don't care about those details you mentioned, it's just a really nice car.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Really nice car...... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Thanks Keith and Tim. Not all of us are lucky enough find or be able to afford a very early original Ford, so a well done "piece-to-gether" has to be good enough . . . sure works for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Roger B, Thank you for the answer, and thank you for more pictures of your car. I think it is beautiful and would be proud to have such a car myself! As you describe it, it should be fine with the HCCA, although a few real purists would object. Although I have always been trying to learn what is or is not right. I am glad that I never became a true purist. Yes, I know that I can pick a car apart along with some of the best of them. But I prefer to admire a car for being a good representation of what it is. Especially true if the car is on a tour being driven and heard along with other nice cars.
Your open roadster is beautiful! Be proud of it.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy that car! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Here is another view of the same car.

I have seen the pinstriping on the front axle on restored cars. Here is evidence in an original photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I own an original 1911 open runabout and there is some space under the seat. Mine has my tools and jack and some spare parts. I can see why people installed a tool box on the rear as it would have been hard to get the mother in law to ride back there. Being the open runabout had 22 hp and the weight was way down compared to a sedan a 10% increase is huge and you notice. The only draw back to the 11 is the over axle wishbone. It must be repaired. An easy fix and makes all the difference. I would not drive mine without the repair. I almost rolled mine at 20 mph and Henry himself did. Great car. I drive mine all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Thanks for the input Richard on your ORIGINAL Open Runabout. It sounds like Rootlieb reproduced their bodies like Ford built them as mine has the same (small) area under the seat. I totally agree with you about the front wishbone issue. I have a period accessory one on my 1914 Touring and I also have one sitting in the shop that I'll be putting on the 1911 Open Runabout. I feel a lot safer with a double wishbone on these early Ts.

I also want to thank Herb for both of the great Open Runabout photos. There are many period pictures of the Torpedo Runabouts but the Open Runabout versions are very scarce. Below is the only vintage photo I own of a 1911 Open Runabout.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration