Replacing Perches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacing Perches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

I had a perch that needed replaced on our T. I had tried a couple of times in the past and it wouldn't budge so I waited for a better day. Today I decided one way or the other it was coming out. I had tried heating and twisting and nothing seemed to work. Today, I separated the wishbone from the perch and attached a power steering pump pulley puller to the axle with the screw on the bottom of the perch. I tightened as much as I could then rapped on the side of the perch with a ball peen hammer. After alternating between tightening the puller 1/4 turn at a time and using the hammer I could start to see daylight between the axle and the perch. When I had just enough room, I used an air hammer with a flat chisel bit between the axle and perch alternating with tightening the puller. It helped pull the perch up a slight bit. When there was enough room, I used the pickle fork between the axle and perch and that really helped pull it up and out of the axle. It is amazing how tight they are when they are not a press fit. Anyway, if you are struggling with one, this is one more thing to try. Hope it helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Mine were so tight it took going to another members house that had an Oxy-acetylene torch and a 5 lb. hammer. Even then it was still a little bit of a struggle. Needless to say they were no good after that, but they needed to come out one way or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

So far I'm six for six on removing front spring perches with an air hammer. Only one of the six gave me problems and two of them came out in seconds.

I've ruined three of the six so far but I'm getting better! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:50 pm:

Two things to do when pressing out perches:
1 Fill the cotter pin hole with a piece of welding rod so it won't squash;
2 Put a nut on the threads, flat side out, so you won't mushroom the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I have a 2 foot long bar which is machined at one end so it will fit in the shackle hole in the perch. I heat the axle and perch with the Oxy and use the bar to twist the perch free in the axle first. Once the rust bond is broken, it is much easier to drive the perch out, often with no damage.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 09:22 am:

If your using heat to loosen a perch heat the perch cherry red on both ends. As best as you can concentrate the heat on the perch NOT the axle.

Let it cool off using wet rags. Do the same thing again. Screw on the perch nut and bump the perch with a brass hammer. Use a little WD-40.

I use this method and it usually works without destroying the perch. Using a bar and putting it through the perch hole then twisting helps too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

I had perch's that took over 20 tons of pressure to remove. They can be stubborn little buggers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration