A matter of ethics

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A matter of ethics
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

I have a bunch of parts I wish to sell in the classifieds. I see much of the same things already posted at much greater prices than I wish for mine. Would it be poor manners or business practice to post my items?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

That is the difference between hobbyists and re-sellers. Giving someone a good deal is good manners and often good business practice. It is
a little upsetting, however, to see your former
parts for sale on Craigslist, Ebay or Hershey. You
may also notice that the higher priced parts are still available, implying they are overpriced and waiting for someone who is desperate to show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Of course not. Its like going to a swap meet. Some of the stuff more than one vender Will have for sale someone else will have and at a different price. Keep the price at what you want as it's yours to sell it for what you think it's worth. There is always having an auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Many times you find yourself with items that you just want to move out of your garage or shed. Price them attractively and move them without regret. If someone else wants to ask a higher price for their items, that's their option. Obviously they are not as anxious to move them fast as you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

It is called Capitalism.
You sell it for what you think is fair.
If your price is lower than someone else it is their problem not yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Jim it happens the same way at swap meets. Some people want big prices for their parts and some want reasonable prices. Its yours to sell for want you want to get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Levi on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Unless you're tripping over the stuff, you could go with the average between what you want and what you've seen- everybody wins. Oh yeah, then you cab blow the unexpected loot on beer or ice cream, or both!-don't get beer ice cream. -Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Thank's guys. Even at swap meets I try to sell cheap, If I have a item I want top dollar for, it is posted in ebay. and I do have a fair idea of the value of my parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

I like Jim have sold at many swap meets in the last 35 years and I always sell low to get rid of parts that I no longer need or want. I always expect the next guy might put it on his project car. I occasionally have a high priced part that I paid a lot for but still at the point it goes to a swap meet I want to sell. I see nothing wrong with the guy that asks a crazy price I just don't do it. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I sold several items at Chickasha this year that were on eBay the following week and resold for much higher prices. No problem here, free enterprise capitalism is what makes our country great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 11:43 am:

The purpose of the classified over things like e-bay is for the hobbyist to give first shot at something to other hobbyist I would think?

Selecting what you think is a fair offering and what I feel is a fair offering will always be two different things. Like everybody else, I like to not leave money on the table...but then again will pay what it takes in the moment.

Unless someone are deliberately pegging their prices at a fixed amount or a fixed percentage under someone elses post, then you are not 'handling' the classified and it is what it is. In my humble opinion if someone does 'handle' then that is not fair at all...free enterprise be darned.

I'm a tad like Tim and yourself...I somehow wind up with 6 of things and when it comes clean-out time they are priced to sell and sell that very day and not lug back. Somebody gets a good deal and if they turn around and sell them higher...so be it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

When I've acquired extra parts (usually by salvage or auction) without my own foreseeable future use, I like to reference if 'new' replacement parts are available. Cut the price in half, consider the condition, and go from there. If someone is looking for 'original parts', my perspective is for fairness to the hobby. Packaging & shipping done as if I was to be the recipient! It does seem to be appreciated. (And, have even gained more friends along the way....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Jim, have at it! You have every right to sell at what ever price you see fit. If there was nothing for sale on this forum, a lot of guys would have a difficult time repairing and restoring there cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I have few adds
And for one don't mind simular adds.
Even buying beer I shop around the classifieds are our online version of a swap meet
ONLY adds I hate seeing are non hobby related adds

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration