Front axle bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front axle bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Has anyone tried putting the spindles in an oven and warming them and putting the bushings in the freezer to aid in installation? They might just fall into the spindles instead of pressing them in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

You can install them with a hydraulic press after smearing grease on the outside. Then you must ream them with the proper tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

I haven't tried that method, but it certainly should help if you don't have a press or hefty bench vise.

A hydraulic press is one of those tools, that after you get it, you wonder how you got along without it. It's hard to match for applying large forces precisely in a well controlled manner.

I got mine at Harbor Freight, it has served me well for many years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-a-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-pre ss-1667.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Douglas, a press works fine. If you don't have a press you could use a piece of all thread with two washers and nuts to pull the bushings into the spindles.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

I wouldn't risk the wrath of SWMBO by putting them in the oven. I would suggest using the BBQ instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 02:01 am:

I haven't purchased spindle bushings for quite a while, but 10 years ago most of them were too large OD and would split perfectly good spindles when forced in. Measure the ID of your spindles and the OD of the bushings, the bushings should only be about .0015 to .003 larger to provide a good press fit, IMHO. I don't have a Machinist's Handbook handy to see the recommended interference fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 04:02 am:

I'll give the the oven a shot and let u guys know how I made out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 04:22 am:

You can use a vice to press them in. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration