Replacing timing gears question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacing timing gears question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Can you replace the timing gears with the engine in the car? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Cam gear yes.
Crank gear no. Pan needs to be removed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

The crank gear could be replaced but you would need to take out all the pan bolts and raise the front of the engine. It would also be very difficult to seal from oil leaks if you raise the engine. Also hard to align the engine and transmission. Personally I would just replace the cam gear if the crank gear is in reasonable good condition, but if I were to replace the crank gear, I would pull the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

The Ford Service manual shows the method that N. Kling describes to remove the crank gear. But unless the gear is badly worn I would just replace the cam gear.
If you have a concern about wear install a new timing gear and see if the clearance is within accepted limits. It might turn out that the cam gear is all that's needed to be replaced.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration