Slipping clutch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Slipping clutch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

My clutch started slipping. Clutch fingers are set 15/16"+, should I reset them to 13/16" as the book calls for??? I have never had this problem before. They are the Jackrabbit clutches.. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

First thing is to check to make sure that the brake rods aren't so long that they keep the brake handle from going fully forward. Also check the slot in the floorboard to make sure it doesn't keep the brake handle from going fully forward.

If the two items above check out OK and the clutch was working fine before and just lately has started slipping, then proceed with the adjustment.

My understanding is that you want the high clutch to be adjusted as loosely as possible without slipping. So, adjust each of the three fingers 1/2 turn in (clockwise), then so a test drive. If the slipping is gone, stop there. If it still slips, try another half turn test drive again.

Be careful when you remove the old cotter pins and install the new cotter pins not to drop anything into the transmission! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Mark when I recently got my T, someone had adjusted or I should say screwed around with the finger screws, for when I check them they were all screwed differently. Is there a starting point I could back them out and start over. One is screwed in way past the others? Thanks. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Why are they set at 15/16"?
I've always set them at 13/16" and a new 100lb+ spring on jacks and turbo's, never had any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I would say go with Frank's recommendation, since he has had extensive favorable experience. If the finger screws are tightened unevenly like it sounds like yours are, that can contribute to slippage.

Can you post some pictures? Be aware that there is a file size limit of 250K (really around 245K) file size per picture. If you're not familiar with resizing pictures, see this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Mark, When I removed the cover plate the filter screen was full of lint. Not much oil getting to the clutch ,it got HOT. I cleaned it up and it would slip,but if I "popped" the clutch it would hold??? My is thinking it does not have enough pressure on the disks?? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Frank, I don't know why they are at 15/16+"??? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Don, in my opinion the lint on the screen would have come from the bands, probably not from the high clutch.

The excess heat may be just from the slipping high clutch, or it may be that one or more of the bands are adjusted too tight and are fighting the high clutch.

If you just got this T, it sounds like all of the transmission adjustments should be checked and adjusted if necessary before you drive it again. First, check to make sure that the low and brake bands fully engage the drums with the pedals 1 to 1 1/2 inch above the floorboards. I have my reverse band adjusted so that when I firmly push the reverse pedal, it is about even or slightly above the low and brake pedals.

Once you have the bands adjusted, check the low speed link and other things as discussed in this often-posted article:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Mark , I have put over well 10,000 miles on this car. Had a cracked low drum and a U joint go bad (one of those modern needle bearing things back 18 years ago). No other problems. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Mark , I have put over well 10,000 miles on this car. Had a cracked low drum and a U joint go bad (one of those modern needle bearing things back 18 years ago). No other problems. Don P.S. Sams fingers are set uneven, not mine. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Oops, thanks for pointing that out, good luck with your transmission issues. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration