Torque tube and spool info early T's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Torque tube and spool info early T's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey wilmunder on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Trying find out what would be the correct spool to use with a 2 piece drive line for my 14 model T touring and how long did they run the early one piece with the cast style end and differences in style of spool.im building a early 14 and have a friend building a late 14

Also differences in radius rods did they run the cast style 13 end through 14 and what's the difference between a stamped 20s set compared to 14 style.suppose there's different casting numbers

Thanks
Casey Wilmunder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

What I think I know about rear radius rods. With minor changes in detail, the forged back ends were used from '09 through most of '14. Some late '14s (maybe actually '15 model year cars?) used the extruded steel tubing. These continued on I think into, if not through, 1919. The duration from then onward were stamped/rolled/open-seam with changes front and rear and over-all length to accommodate the later large brake drum rear ends. Although these would work on either side, they were made and intended as rights and lefts keeping the open seam on the downside so the radius rod can drain and cannot retain water to rust out becoming a potential danger.
I have never seen numbers on any Ford rear radius rods.

The enclosed (enclosed bolt holes) pinion bearing spools had an early change to do with the bolt that retains the bearing sleeve inside. Otherwise, they changed only slightly until replaced by the open spools about 1919 or 1920. The most obvious change that I have noticed, is that the Ford script is cast into the later ones. Ones without the Ford script are likely earlier than '17 based on some discussions I have read on this forum. They could also be later replacements not made by Ford.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:04 am:

The spools they used into early '13 were the same as the '12s. They beefed them up somewhat in '13, and I call that style the dip spool, as it is a little more substantial than before, but you have to know what you are looking at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey wilmunder on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Hi Wayne

I've seen 3 different styles of enclosed spools so far one being 1910 with raised casting numbers and humps toward the end.i see in the encyclopedia it list when they changed sizes 3/8s to 13/32 1910-1911 year.also seen more common enclosed bolt hole stamped lettering also with humps at one end looks to be 14 to 19 .but also see a few enclosed with no humps on the one end or script or casting numbers.wondering if that was a change 15/16 or even 17 like your saying.been on the hunt for a 14 to 19 torque tube to fix my two piece for my 14.but need figure out what correct spool to use.i didn't think there was much change in the later radius rods says in Leslie's Henry's book 1914-1925 but would like to use the stamped set on my 14 maybe find a set at auburn next month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:07 am:

The first spools were enclosed and were drilled for 3/8" studs. The did not have bumps above the ridge that fit over the lip on the RE housings. The second style also did not have the bumps but was drilled to accept 13/32" studs. Both had the raised numbers. The next style had bumps, unsure whether some of the earlier issues of this type had the raised letters but believe some did. By 1914, they no longer had the raised numbers.
Dates of changes are approx
Style 1 Late calendar 09 thru mid 10.
Style 2 Late 1910 through 1912 at least
Style 3 (Some of the earliest of which may have had raised letters) 1913 at the earliest until the open spools appeared.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration