Tie rod leaking oil quickly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tie rod leaking oil quickly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Hello,
Still working to make my car road worthy. There were no oilers on the tie rods so I put those on both sides and filled them. One side is fine but the other leaks out really quickly. What are possible cause of the leak? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Any wear will allow the oil to dribble out. Try switching to chainsaw bar and chain oil. It is much heavier than 10-30. Lowe's sells it in the lawn and garden section by the chainsaws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

I am using the bar oil. Are they difficult to change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Rick, Jack the front of the car off the ground at the center of the axle and then grab each tire and wiggle them top to bottom then side to side and observe the tie rods and all steering components especially at the joints to see where there is excess play and wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Sounds like you could use a new bushing, or possible a tie rod bolt. They don't normally leak. I see NOS bolts on ebay all the time. And, if you replace the bushing, I'd use brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Rick, I just did that job. Not hard at all. Get new pins and bushings. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Rick,

The leaky end seems normal to me. It's the other one that concerns me. Try drilling out the oil holes. They can get clogged with gunk and the oil will sit in the cup forever.

All that said, check the bushings for wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Rick, check if there's play in the tie rod bushings. If not then there's really no problem. If you have play then either the bushings or the bushings and pins should be replaced. Make sure every bolt and nut in the front axle is tight and has a cotter pin. A lot of cars have loose bolts in the front end.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration