T Parts Dist

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T Parts Dist
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Guys I'm getting ready for a local tour. I'm getting power to the dist but nothing to the plugs. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

You could check the rotor button and condenser and point gap. That's where I would start. Just my idea. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I'm not a distributor expert by any means but if you've got juice to the distributor but you're not getting anything at the plugs, that says rotor to me. I'd pull the cap off and make sure you're getting juice to the rotor, and then make sure the rotor is making contact with the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Could be the coil. Or the big wire from the center of the distributor cap to the coil. If you are getting a good spark at that big wire, the problem is in the rotor or cap.

If you don't get power to the big wire, you might have bad points or condenser or the coil itself.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 05:48 am:

Thank you for the answers so far - we have points ordered that I will pick up this evening on my way home - have changed out everything else multiple times. Will update later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 07:31 am:

The Bosch rotors have been known to burn through, so the spark from the coil wire goes directly to ground on top of the distributor.

The distributor also needs a short ground wire between the distributor and the attachment body to the engine.

A trouble light hooked across the two coil terminals or between the distributor wire to the coil and engine has to light and then go out (or a meter there has to show voltage and then none), as the engine is cranked over (slowly by hand) to verify the distributor case has a good ground and the points are opening and closing, as required to make sparks.

The voltage will be present when the points are open and missing when the points are closed, if the distributor case has a good ground and the points are not shorted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Thanks for all of the replies - new points installed and the car now runs. . . and we get to go on Spring Tour this weekend with the Lone Star T's to Lindale... Happy Trails!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration