How to answer the eternal question: What year is this part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to answer the eternal question: What year is this part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 11:45 am:

The question comes up again and again. Too often there's only a verbal description with no picture. Almost as often, the answers are verbal descriptions with no pictures. This is not the ideal method for identifying what parts you have or what parts you need. Obviously, it's much better to see the actual item.

Sometimes the answer posted here on the forum will include photos, but many times not. We don't all have photos, and even those who do don't have photos of everything. So how can you see what that needed part looks like, so you'll recognize it when you see it? Two sources come to mind. They don't cover everything, but they do cover a lot.

1 Bruce McCalley's Model T Encyclopedia. No, not the condensed version here on the website. The full, unabridged encyclopedia on disk. It includes all the owner's manuals, parts lists, service letters, serial numbers by day, etc., etc. I call it the best fifty bucks you can spend on a Model T.

2 Gail Rodda's two-volume Parts Identification Guide. It doesn't cover everything, but has photos showing every version of many common parts. Some of the photos could be better, but most are perfectly adequate to identify the characteristics of a given part.

Details of where to get these resources are here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Thanks Steve. I was not familiar with the Gail Rodda books. I'll have to order a set.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration