NRS rear view-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: NRS rear view-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 09, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

At least it looks that way.
Postmarked Cadillac Michigan 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 06:59 am:

Herb,

From the things I can see, it appears to be a 1907 Model R Runabout. The rear spring set up, rear spring hanger, truss rod under rear axle, rear fenders, seats, etc. The Model R Runabout was the only N,R,S,SR Ford with the rounded rear deck. The N & S Runabouts had the pointed rear deck and the S roadster had the mother-in-law seat. But other cars back in that time frame looked similar

What I CANNOT see clearly enough to know -- the rear axle center. It should look very similar to the 1915-1918 Model T Fords. The rear wheel hub -- it should look very similar to the 1909-early 1911 Model T except 5 inch flange. Rear Hub cap - identical to 1909 Ts. I don't see the shift handle on the right side of the car, but the lady sitting on the running board maybe hiding that.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Hap, I don't consider myself to be an expert on the NRS cars. But when I first looked this picture over, I was trying to sort some of that out also. Not being very adept with computers limits my abilities to do so, but after scrutinizing the rear end (difficult given the shadows and lack of contrast under the car in the photo), I came to the conclusion that it is indeed a center housing much like the '15 to '18 model T style. That coupled with the similarity to a model T rear wheel and brakes (in appearance only) took me to the conclusion that it was an NRS Ford. I also think that it is indeed the wider/rounder turtle deck which would seem to make it a model R.
The brace rod mixed with the shadows under the car really does make it look like another type rear end, but I am fairly sure that is just an illusion. Ford R I think it is.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Wayne,

Thanks for looking at the rear axle center housing. I just have to be careful or I will see what I want to see rather than what I can see...

Of course that has some advantages. I really like my cars because I think they look great.... I also like my brown head of hair. But for some reason in all the recent photos the light seems to make my hair look grey for some reason...

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:56 am:

I know that the truss rod was an accessory for the early Model T rear ends because they were made of pressed steel and were weak in that area.
This NRS car has a truss rod on the design that Ford went back to, to help fix that problem. I wonder why? You don't see the truss rod on 1915 or later Fords do you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Herb,

The rear springs on an NRS car mount to the rear axle fairly far inboard of the rear wheels. This causes more bending load on the rear axle housing. Also, the axle tubes on NRS cars are very thin and bend easily anyway. Most NRS housings are found bent today. Therefore, the factory supplied truss rod was very needed on NRS cars. Both those issues were addressed however with the 1915 & later T rear ends. Why Ford didn't use the truss on the 1909 - 1914 cars is the real mystery I suppose. He must have thought that moving the spring mounts to the backing plates took enough load off the housing to be o.k. They should have known they were wrong however after a year or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Jerry I understand now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration