Touring top installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Touring top installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Harrington on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

I am finishing the installation of a new top on our 21 touring car. Is the top deck supposed to be fastened to the 2nd and 3rd bows? Where the clamps are in the picture. If so how do you fasten it?
top install

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

I think there should be an oval head wood screw with the little cupped washer at each bow. The cupped washer spreads the clamping better. Yours should probably be nickel plated or stainless steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

The bows are held together by the webbing straps tacked to each bow which are within the top pad, then fold the top pad and stitch closed.

The rear curtain is fitted, then place the top cover, stretch firmly, as the top cover is just tacked to the #1 front and the #4 rear bow only.

For the Two-Man style top cover sides, large-headed tacks are placed in #2 and #3 bow to keep the sides from flopping in the wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Susan,

Yes, the top deck gets fastened to #2 & #3 bows where you have the two clamps. I believe the proper fastener is an oval head upholstery nail. Try to get one with a nice long stem as they usually like to fall out after a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Susan-
The large head tacks tend to pull out over time. I used a threaded base of a snap base on my car, then a snap top and cover to finish it off. It looks like a large tack, but it is screwed into place and will never come loose.

By the way, I like to color of your car and the looks of your side curtains...

: ^ )

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration