Tools of poor design or material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tools of poor design or material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

I have two T-1917 - 1 and 2 open end wrenches. Both have the number 1 ends broken. The profile of the wrenches are different one is slightly larger than the other. One has a large Ford script and the other smaller. They are of different manufactures. Comments as to both number 1 ends to be broken at the same place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

I have a pile of them, and I've seen lots of others, and those two are the first broken ones I've come across. I have had some that were stretched open a little and had to be squeezed in a vise to bring them back down to 11/16". Stretched or broken, they've been used for something other than their intended purpose. Just adjusting bands wouldn't put enough stress on them to do either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Some hard hands really liked to tighten the bands to get all the life out of those linings!

Bet the busted tip of those wrenches went into the tranny :-(

That double ended Band Wrench Ford supplied was OK for most part. But the reverse band is the hardest to get to, and if you lever the little wrench against the hogshead opening, that could splay the wrench ears, and maybe too much will bust them.

Found better success in tightening reverse band with an 'off set' wrench that can reach in and do a better job than the little Ford double end. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Steve makes a good point. They were made small enough for band work. Not for heavy use.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Probably were used backward against the force side.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:47 am:

I think they were made just strong enough to adjust the spring loaded band nut. When used for other purposes they will not stand up. Even when spread a little, I would recommend heating them to red heat before trying to close them to proper spec. I have broken two trying to do it cold.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

I guess George has those two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 10:07 am:

I wouldn't worry about the quality! Just find another. They are everywhere, and cheap too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration