OT - 67.7 mph in a 1907 Ford. 70, here we come.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - 67.7 mph in a 1907 Ford. 70, here we come.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Took the K Roadster out for a little work today, and went to 67.7 on the GPS. I hope to make the advertised 70mph, however I ran out of runway (highway coming into Milford NE).

I will a say 67 plus mph in an open car with no windshield is exhilarating........

With a mechanical oiler, the faster the rpm, the more oil is pumped to the front of the crankcase and cylinder walls. As a result, the faster you drive, the more oil you pump into, and then distribute on and around the car. You can see oil streaming down the lower hood hinge in this photo after the run. Rust will never be an issue......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

Rob, I think you're having more fun with your Model K than any other K owner has in the last 100 years! :-)

My hat is off to you for driving the heck out of such a rare and valuable car. I'd be too afraid of breaking something to enjoy the car as much as you do!

(Message edited by Brian Beatty, kansas city on May 10, 2016)

(Message edited by Brian Beatty, kansas city on May 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Rob, Oil is cheap. Keep tickling the old gal and you will get your 70 MPH. They like being tickled. Makes them feel loved. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 02:21 am:

And apparently you're doin good in the fuel department too! Good job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 06:25 am:

did you get cylinder 6 to lean out????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Rob,Several years ago a few cars went from the OCF to the near by Ford Proving Grounds and ran a lap or two on the track. Just a thought the 6 40 might be perfect but one bone head kid or adult could change everything? I hope this is thought of as a friend instead of some know it all old fart! Opp's,I'm a old fart! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Indianapolis Raceway Park drag strip also has a half mile circle track (IRP is northwest of the city of Indianapolis, it is a separate facility from the Indy 500 speedway).

I drove my 1971 Plymouth GTX to a Mopar show there a few years ago, and they allowed us to run our cars on the circle track, it was fun. I watched a guy in a brand new Viper get loose, spin and slide up the track. He almost stuffed his car into the outside wall with his wife in the passenger seat. Luckily, the spin scrubbed off enough speed and he stopped short of the wall. I'm sure that his wife was not amused! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Just take her on the freeway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Brian, yes, more fun than should be allowed.......

Scott, I need to "tickle" the rich/lean a bit. However, at 60 plus every imperfection in the road is magnified, i didn't want to take a hand off the wheel to reach the knob.

Andria, we're doing our best.

Mike, I drilled a small air hole in the manifold at #6. This worked so well I drilled it a little bigger.

Now I have another "little" hole, and a screw in the hole that became too large..... :-(

Bud, I would like to get her on a one mile dirt track. Unfortunately they are few and far between. I think the closest is in southern IL or IN.

Mark, a 1/2 mile would be fun, but to compare with the world record times the Model K set in Detroit in June of 1907, I need a one mile circular track with 1/4 mile curves and 1/4 straight runs. The 24 hour record average was 47 2/5 mph.

Dave, bring your speedster over and we'll go cruising.

More on Mike's question about #6 cylinder running too rich. Below is a pic of the plugs from #6. They would foul out, or fire intermittently:

Now, with old "hotter" plugs (no porcelain until far up into the plug):

Looking down at the top of the exhaust plug. Before it was black with soot/carbon:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

The pic caption above should say exhaust valve, not "plug."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration