OT - Video Cameras for Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Video Cameras for Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:50 am:

At the Old Car Festivals, I've seen Rob Heyen fixing a camera to the side of his Model K and I've seen Don Booth doing similar with his Fordor. Steve Jelf also posts videos.

Any recommendations from forum members about shooting videos from our cars? Best place to mount? Best camera for the job? Best camera mounts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Tom,

We have a GoPro, and I usually fix it to the front seat top iron mount. It's not perfect, but works fairly well. One nice thing about the GoPro camera is I'm able to see the picture, and start and stop from my iPhone.

I'll try to post a few pics of it on the car later.

Otherwise, I hold my iPhone in one hand, video taping, and drive with the other. Not recommended, but it works. If I had a co-pilot, I would let them operate the camera (iPhone, iPad or GoPro).

This winter video was shot with the GoPro on a head harness. It was 10-15 degrees F and everything worked pretty well, except when I turn my head too fast. I like to add music, and use an App called "Splice." I'm not very good at it, and "Splice" is somewhat simple and it seems music sets a tone for the clip (to me). Originally the clip below was put to Christmas music, but this time I added a different theme.

Then I upload the video to my Dropbox account to share:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d33ms6t0ausbbed/Video%20May%2011%2C%208%2011%2049%20AM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Ditto, to Rob's recommendations. The GoPro is a fantastic little camera. It has a anti-shake system like no other. I have two and have never had a quality issue with either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 10:22 am:

I use a GoPro as well and found that if you use the head camera strap you have to teach yourself to move your head slowly or else the video looks really shaky and ends up giving you a headache from watching.

The best strap is the chest strap. Keeps things centered and not shaky, and leaves you hands free to operate... unfortunately you also look really weird wearing one!

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/chesty-chest-harness/GCHM30-001.html

When I want to shoot myself talking to the camera I use the suction cup holder, which you can add brackets so you can aim the camera any which way. This is helpful when the flat surface is in a strange place... but usually I just stick it to the windshield (if you have one)

Hope this helps!

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/suction-cup/AUCMT-302.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I use the video function of my Canon A640. The camera is great for stills, and it's handy to just turn a dial to the video setting, but I'm not thrilled by the picture quality of the videos. I noticed the sharper images in Don's and Rob's videos, and others, and looked into other video cameras online. In the end I didn't buy a GoPro or any of the others because none in my price range had any provision for using an external microphone. I see (or hear) that as a deal breaker. For now I'm just settling for less-than-wonderful picture quality. Maybe eventually I'll bite the financial bullet and spend more dough for a camera that does what I want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Thanks Gents. I'll start looking at these choices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

I use a GoPro also and mount it in the middle of the third bow of my touring so that it gets the action in the front seat also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Whatever you get,I would suggest moving it around rather than mounting it in one fixed location and leaving it there. A video with shots of ten to twenty seconds from various perspectives is usually more interesting than one long continuous view out the front window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Actually, the best combo is a good camera and a good video editing software. The use of two mounted camera's can keep the interest going. My biggest problem now days is I don't have the interest in taking the time to edited. It can be a nice winter type project but it still requires time and a good imagination to make a professional looking video. I use to do a lot of video editing but like most things the fun tends to turn to dread. I use Videostudio Pro 17.o and love the ease of the layout and it has some fancy dan special effects and title. It has a easy learning curve to it. Like I said you can spend a half a day creating a 30 minute video...just don't have the desire to put that much energy in it anymore..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Before you get something and spend a lot of $$ check out these cameras on Ebay. One of our members posted a video some time ago that he filmed with one of these in car cameras. I thought it was very good and I asked him what camera he used. I bought the one like what I have posted and have installed it in my Tahoe and will use it in my Model T as well.

If you search this there are several and I got mine for close to $35.

Search on EBAY:
HD-Dual-Lens-Car-Camera-Vehicle-DVR-Dash-Cam-Video-Recorder-Night-Vision-1080P

On my last Montana 500 I tried my son's Go Pro but the battery didn't last very long and the picture was quite jittery. I'm really amazed at the picture quality of the Car Camera. It has several features like freeze frame, motion sensor, sound on or off and night vision. I'm using a 30 micro chip but don't know how long it records because I have not had time to watch it all, it's so long. The camera loops so it never quits recording. Operates on 12V and comes with two camera lens so one can be looking forward and another to the side or rear facing or at yourself so it records that smiling face.

I guess it's meant for cars like patrol or people that might be involved in an accident to have a record of the event. It's a really wide angle and super clear picture with absolutely no bouncing or jittering. Best part is they're cheap!

Now as someone said earlier the editing is a Very important.

Does anyone have suggestions how to do that!! Please help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

This January or February, I ordered one of those Dashcam Pros that they advertise on TV and on the internet. I'd never do it again. Buy from Amazon or some shady looking fellow on a street corner, instead.

I ordered it (I thought) in plenty of time for it to arrive so I could use it on my trip to Chickasha, The company website says your credit card won't be charged until it is actually shipped. wrong! It was to be shipped from New Jersey according to the company. Two weeks passed, nothing. Three weeks passed, nothing. A month, nothing. Six weeks, nothing. the week of Chickasha, I was seriously concerned that I'd been scammed and filed a complaint with my credit card company. I only stayed over Thursday night at Chickasha and returned home Friday. The following Monday, the camera arrived, just a little too late. If it was shipped from New Jersey, and took that long, the company must have only one employee processing and shipping orders, but I suspect the item was shipped to New Jersey from China where the cam was made, and then shipped to me. Buyer Beware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 01:06 am:

For editing videos, I find Apple's iMovie application easy to use. I don't know what there is for Windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 04:38 am:

There are plenty of editing choices. I've tried all the popular ones such as Adobe and Sony. But I prefer Coral Videostudio. It has some nice features for 5-1 stereo and special effects. It has tons of transitions and many dozens of compatible add-ons. Very stable and also has the conversions for what device you want to play the final video on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Just saw a new app for your smart phone. It's called green lite, and will be available in Sept. It makes your iPhone and android a "go pro" and it only costs $50.00. There is an optional docking mount as well. I saw the video and it is one neat app. You can record up for 4 mins before it loops over or as short as 15 seconds. It used sensors in your phone for gps and side monitors, so if someone approaches from the side it automatically starts recording.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration