Hand brake riveting question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hand brake riveting question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 11:05 am:

What is the history on the riveting of the hand brake quadrant to the T frame? I've heard earlier ones had 1 rivet on each side while later ones went to 2 rivets on each side. When exactly did this change happen and does anyone have a source they can cite to back it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I think it was the other way around, late frames used one rivet per side since it was cheaper for Ford but still strong enough.

Source is the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Chassis1

"During 1925 the brake lever quadrant was modified. Instead of four rivets holding it to the frame, only two were now used. This new quadrant continued until the end of Model T production in 1927."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 11:28 am:

When the change was taking place, some of the frames still had the four holes, with the new style quadrant. I would suspect this would be in the 1924 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Thanks. My TT has lots of signs of bring older than its engine. Been trying to narrow down the year of the body. It has the 4 rivet hand brake. Has a wood firewall too. I read that the wood firewall was discontinued in early 23 but does that go for the rolling chassis as well as the cars? My truck was a chassis with an aftermarket wood body built later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

The style of firewall that was used on the cars were used on the chassis that were sold too, so if the wood firewall was original to your chassis, then it was likely made in 1923 or earlier. There is also a difference in the firewall brackets for steel and wood to compensate for the difference in thicknesses.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration