Turner Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Turner Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

I finally got brave enough to take my timer off to check it and plus "inquiring" minds want to know. I often wondered what kind of timer was installed and it is a Turner. There are no external connections like the timers I have seen previously, the 4 leads enter a short flange on the side and connections are made internally. Another distinguishing attribute is the "dished" out area where the fan belt would/should run but mine does not.

I did a query to see if they have been discussed previously and came up with this link:

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/493904.html

Mine does not have the exterior screws like the one discussed in the link above but there is a single screw in the little dimple in the center of the cover where the securing bracket rides.
It's pretty grimy on the inside and wondering if I clean it with a little tuner cleaner should I lubricate it with some type of grease?

This one is cast out of aluminum and not stamped steel like most I've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Hi David,

You wrote: "I finally got brave enough to take my timer off to check it and plus "inquiring" minds want to know."

It IS good to know what you have.

Yes, clean it well with the cleaner which you mentioned, or brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Get it good and clean. Also ensure that the brush holder is clean and that the brush moves freely. Perhaps give it a shot or two of solvent.
Do Not lubricate. Timers of the brush type (your Turner, New Day, Crystal, and others) are to be run dry.

All of the Turners which I have seen are of cast aluminum and have the wires routed through a flexible conduit. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

David, the screw in the centre holds the bakelite insulator and the contact plate in place. You can remove this plate and clean up any irregularities/wear by working the plate on some fine emery cloth backed on a sheet of plate glass. That will give you a nice clean surface for the brush to run on.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration