Stumpy intake manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stumpy intake manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

I bought some junk and this short manifold was with it. It is factory made, with a threaded hole for vacuum. I wonder what it is good for?

w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Fording a low water bridge maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Maybe it's for mounting your Stromberg OF a little bit higher so it soesn't hit the frame rail?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey New Zealand on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 05:49 am:

Could it be Maxwell? A lot of Maxwell parts are very close to T stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Is that true that a Stromberg OF on a stock T manifold hits the frame rail?

I have an OF that I would like to try someday and would like to know if I should be looking for a different intake manifold to go with it.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Hi Mark,

You asked:
"Is that true that a Stromberg OF on a stock T manifold hits the frame rail? "

Well, yes and no.

With a stock iron manifold you will likely be okay.

With a stock aluminum manifold you will likely be okay.

The occasional problems have been encountered with the reproduction aluminum manifolds. Apparently some of them have an "off" angle milled at the port which tilts the manifold slightly closer to the frame rail. This is not a problem with a stock carb, but can cause trouble with a wider carb such as the Stromberg OF.

I have an OF with a reproduction aluminum manifold on my coupe and it IS real close but not touching the frame. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Thanks, Bill. I have a stock iron manifold on my '24, so it sounds like I'll be OK when I decide to mount the OF. I'll be sure to check it, though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Typical wear marks that can be found on a Stromberg OF. Intake gasket thickness, frame distortion, might influence. Some OF's rub, others do not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

I have a Stromberg OF and a stock cast iron intake manifold. The OF had a slight interference with the frame just enough that it rubbed. What I did was machine the intake manifold flange where the carb. bolts to the manifold at a slight angle just enough to tilt the OF towards the engine and away from the frame and it worked fine.

You could probably just file the intake manifold to achieve this slight angle on the intake manifold flange also.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Accessory boat engine manifold? Would keep the carb up where it was more accessible and out of the bilge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Here is a "period" frame notch someone made to clear a carburetor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

I had an OF or LF that I had to file a small notch in the frame for it to clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Tom
Maybe the connection is to run a vacuum windshield wiper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:23 am:

The stubby manifold will raise the carburetor, compromising the gravity feed fuel system. The port in the manifold would provide a take-off point for a vacuum tank to draw fuel to the engine.

My 1924 Tarrant tourer with the fuel tank hanging under the spare tyre carrier has a vacuum tank to suck fuel to the front. The only problem with such a system is when confronted with a long steady pull, which results in low vacuum and fuel starvation. This is not such a problem with 3 and 4 speed transmissions where gear changes make for changes in vacuum during operation.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration