Are these apcos useable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Are these apcos useable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Are these apco bodies usable, one is worn a bit and the other is a tad beat up, threads are both good and both sit flat. I have to admit that saving fifty bucks would be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Just for clarity's sake. Drag-link ends? Or wishbone ball cap?
I do not consider my experience with either size Apco caps of much value. I never had one of the radius rod ball caps. And every one of the drag-link ends I have had has either been missing important pieces, or been one of the bad series that had a pot-metal piece that was ready to disintegrate. Several people that I have spoken to over the years have told me that they have never seen one with a pot-metal piece. So maybe that really is unusual. I have used a couple of them by making the missing pieces or modifying something to work.
I would probably consider using those, if they are complete, and don't have the pot-metal inner screw.
Do look anything over very carefully for any sign of a developing crack in it. Especially anything to do with steering, brakes, or suspension.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

I wouldn't hesitate to use them.You can buy new guts for the tie rod ones,Snyder's or Lang's carry them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

These are drag link ends, and the screws are surprisingly great. The wear around the opening of the top one what really concerns me, wouldn't want a ball popping out. My Pittman arm is new, but the other ball is not but is about. 025 out of round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Wayne, I have also had the drag link caps with the pot metal screw in adjuster in the past. In fact I think I still may have a couple around here somewhere, so maybe they are more common than you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 01:27 am:

Maybe they are a Califunny thing? Hey, Phil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 03:45 am:

Not entirely :-) I have a few with the pot metal adjusting screw I've found here in Sweden too, both the drag link and the wishbone ball type.
In one, the pot metal screw was possible to remove - then I bought replacement parts from a vendor. The other one withstood repeated assaults with a hammer and a chisel, so I thought then it would also stand for the lower forces from the spring and in use, so I let it stay with a new spring and cup and a cotter pin that also secures somewhat. Regreasing means inspection, any signs of disintegration would mean removal and a new screw.

Regarding the Apcos in the first post - they're supposed to be tightened so they stay on the ball - the body shouldn't wear in use, maybe some misalignment got them a little beat up. If you can't pull the ball out through the hole, they should be OK.
The Apcos can be used on a slightly oval worn ball, that's their #1 feature - but if you have a round new pitman ball there's no need to use an Apco there - you can file the drag link or buckle a copper penny to fill the wear in the drag link and use an original cap on that end. Don't file much on the original caps - they're thin from the beginning.
By the way, if you have a 1919-27 tie rod, you can get a new replacement ball there too fairly cheap:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2721B.aspx
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2721A.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration