Help on car value: 1916 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help on car value: 1916 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Schelling on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 01:10 am:

OK, so the quintessential question on car value: Purchased car from grandfather's estate in 2004, now need to sell car due to job relocation/house downsizing. Need help assigning value to vehicle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Features:
• 1916 Brass Model T Ford (December 1915)
• I think this was originally a Touring car
• Rocky Mountain Brakes
• Converted to Volkswagen distributor
• Spark/lights operate from 6V battery bolted to running board – no generator or alternator. (I can never remember a time the car ran out of juice…)
• Front suspension/steering stabilizer
• Converted to pick-up by a distant previous owner. Conversion looks very well done.
• Surrey top, Buckboard bench, and stool in back hand made by Amish buggy maker in central Ohio
• Interior/upholstery in excellent shape
• Crank start
• Starts/runs well
• Paint in good condition but not new, this car was driven
• Unsure of the rebuild history (transmission bands, engine/babbit rebuild)

If I follow the instructions here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html
I come up with a value in the range of $5000-$6000.

If I look online at the classifieds, car clubs, various ebay sites, it feels like a fair value may be closer to the $9000-$10000 range.

Would welcome any thoughts on the right range to be in. Thanks in advance.

Photos below (I hope).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Todd - Unusual conversion, however as you say, seems pretty well done. A couple questions,......

What is that box shaped thing under the steering column at about knee level?

Original clear title in name of owner?

And the engine number would help to verify value of car. More or less value depending if engine is factory original or been replaced with engine of a different year.

Not everybody is familiar with location of engine number. In case you'e not, it's stamped in the block right above where the water pipe that leads from bottom of radiator to engine block is attached to the engine on driver's side. Usually at least partially obscured by rust and/or corrosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:57 am:

That box thing looks like some sort of apparatus to operate a series or musical horns. Not sure though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Looks like its a well done fun T. Purists would point out the non-originality of the car but if someone wanted a car to drive in parades and have a good time in this would be it.

The body work, paint and the overall detail work looks to be pretty good. Whoever built it did a really good job. Nice and neat in the detail. And if it runs and drives well that's a big plus.

At Least a 6000.00 car in my book. Probably more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Schelling on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Thanks for the comments! Answering a few questions:
Yes, I have clear title.
I'll post the engine and body number this afternoon.
Great guess Tim! The box is connected to a series of horns that my grandfather used to play in parades. Unfortunately, I think most of them are not currently working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

"...horns that my grandfather used to play in parades. Unfortunately, I think most of them are not currently working."

Well, that's a start anyway...;O)

I'd say it's probably somewhere in the $7K - $8K range. Maybe a tad more if the motor is strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Schelling on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

All, thanks again for the comments and help. Here are the body and engine numbers:

Body: 121515463 (the '2' is very hard to read, could be something other than a '2' but that's my best guess.)
Engine: 990364

I think the engine matches a Dec 1915 build date. I think the fenders and hood match a 1915/1916 style.

Unfortunate that it's cut into a pickup as I understand this greatly affects the value. In any case, it makes a really fun car to drive and parade in.

I have a local offer of $5000, will likely post to the forum classifieds for a few days/weeks to see if there is a better offer. Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 03:03 am:

You're correct about the serial number. Friday, December 3, 1915. Four months into the 1916 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:18 am:

"Unfortunate that it's cut into a pickup as I understand this greatly affects the value."

Todd -- While the car might be worth more as a full-bodied Touring Car, it was not at all unusual for Tourings to be cut off to make Pickups. That was pretty much standard fare "back in the day." As folks got newer cars (often a Model A), their "old" Ford was converted into a pickup to get more use from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Todd-it would take more than $5000.00 to build your T the way its been done these days. While its not built back to its original condition, time, labor and the cost of parts would be close to around $7000.00 to have it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

To add a little to what Mike Walker said about why it was not unusual for a lot of old Model T Touring cars to be cut down and homemade pickup boxes added, was because the pickup box was not only handy to the farmer as Mike said, but the vehicle then became reclassified as a farm vehicle. Therefore, there were even old worn out or damaged Model T Tourings formerly left "abandoned" out in the "south forty" that were dragged back out of the field made into a pickup truck (farm vehicle) and were allotted more gasoline during the gasoline rationing days of WW2. FWIW,.....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration