Ignition setting on a RH Drive Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ignition setting on a RH Drive Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Hi all,
I have a question about the ignition setting on a RH Drive 1912 model T.
Last year the magneto of this car stopped working During the winter we made the needed repairs.
During the job we saw the flapper of the timer (car had a flapper style timer) was very used and replaced the timer by an old stock Tiger Timer.
The original timer was mounted up side down so I did the same with the new timer.
The timing is set with the tool that screw in a plug hole to find the 15 ATDC.
While testing the car I have the impression the the car is missing power due to the ignition setting.
Are the timers for a RH Drive car different as the timers for a LH Drive car?? What is the difference??

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Some more information:
As I pull down the ignition lever, the center of the timer is in one line with the pull rod and it is impossible to give the engine more advance on the ignition timing.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:46 am:

First answer, the only difference is on an original RHD one is the oil hole location, most use the USA one as no one makes the RHD oiler type.
As for the second post, sounds like you are wired up one post out all round and the rod is bent too short?
With the timer fitted,(upside down) the pull rod should be at about 5.30 on the clock and fully advanced it should pull to about 6.30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Andre
The flapper (Anderson style timer) requires the rod to be significantly bent differently than most other timers. Fully retarded should be just after TDC. Fully advanced is in the 30 crankshaft degrees range (maybe more). Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Andre, on any initial set-up I make, I set the lever at the quadrant against the stop and position the arm on the timer at 5 o'clock as viewed from the front of the car. Then the linkage is made/bent to fit these settings. This has always been safe, and you can make adjustments from there if needed.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:25 am:

Thank you all,

I will try to go back to the "Flapper" timer and will see what happens.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in Katy Texas on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Andre, can you post a few pictures? Making a tiger timer work correctly is probably in the bends on the rod, and/or the adjustment on the 'eye'.

When I fitted a TW timer after an old roller type, I had to bend and adjust the rod and screw the "eye" in or out to get things where they needed to be. Now there are 3 or possibly 4 areas of adjustment to the timing on Mag. Seems to run nicer on 3rd section setting than 4th.

Hope this helps
Justin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration