FJ - AARP membership $16 a year gets you 10% off Motel 6

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - AARP membership $16 a year gets you 10% off Motel 6
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

If you are 50 or older then consider an AARP membership for only $16 a year.

I stay at motels over 200 nights a year & Motel 6 is a regular place that offers 10% off with an AARP membership.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Thanks, Jim. I believe you can get the same discount most places if you are a member of AAA.

One thing if folks are considering joining AAA, be sure to upgrade from the minimum membership. The towing mileage limit that comes with the minimum membership is puny (I don't remember the exact number). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I don't stay in any hotel with a number in the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Motel 6 gives a 10% discount to seniors also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

We have AAA plus and get 100 miles towing along with substantial discounts.

Our yearly gift to our daughter is an AAA plus membership because it helps us to sleep at night.

I don't like the politics of AARP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

I'm with Fred on this. AARP can keep their membership. Their politics stink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

When staying in any motel, I usually ask for the AARP, Senior, Military, Law Enforcement, Government discount, and I always get it! Yeah, I figure that should add up to about half-price but it's usually 10%! Hey, gotta' try, right? Once in a great while, some motel manager will figure out how to give me a bit more off, but I'm never sure why. I do still carry USMC I.D. and proof that prior to retiring from Law Enforcement I had a Federal as well as State Commission. I honestly feel like motel rates are sometimes something like that airliner that has no two passengers that have paid the same rate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

I agree. I joined AARP twenty-some years ago because I thought it was a senior citizens' advocacy group. Discovered that it was a cheerleading squad for the Democrats' political issues. Dropped the membership. As many others have pointed out, I get the same discounts with AAA (and AARP doesn't offer the towing and roadside services that AAA does... :-) ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Last year Motel 6 denied me service after having made a prepaid online reservation months in advance because I wouldn't allow them to photocopy my drivers license at check-in. Never stay anywhere that demands you put yourself at risk for identity theft.

The arrogant franchise owner charged me the first night as a late cancellation and refused a refund, then told me no motel would accept me as a guest without a photocopy of my drivers license, as though I've never stayed in a motel before. In the end I got my money back and I'm not finished with them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

AARP,sheesh, don't get me started on that.Gota be careful not to get to political.
A friend of mine heard that they supported gun control and spent alot of their money towards it. Called them and confirmed that Yes, they do it to protect the elderly. So he dropped them like a hot tater. I don't the NRA gives a 10% discount but he was a member of that group till he died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

AARP is a front for a lobbying group with a progressive agenda. I just ask for a senior discount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

You know twice today i got a senior drink and did not even have to ask. I reckon the folks behind the counter are trying to tell me I look like a old phart!

I can tell you this from personal experience in reference to AARP.
My dad had to join for a couple years because of a insurance change from the company he retired from. The only policy they would pay for is the United health care thru AARP. Well once you get on the list, and you try to drop out as my dad after he stayed the required time, you will get more junk mail than the box can hold. I literally started my morning fire in the shop with his junk mail from them each morning. He got to cussing 1 day and I could tell it was getting on his last nerve. I called the number on the bottom of the junk mail and actually got a real person. I explained the situation and the junk mail was stressing my dad. I ask what needed to be done to remove his address from their computer. A few seconds went by and the fellow said "you won't get anything after this week.". Sure enough. the Junk mail can be stopped. but it takes a phone call and a clear explanation of the aggravation to accomplish it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

I wouldn't join that liberal organization to save my life

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

No thanks on AARP. For $50 a year an AMA (American Motorcyclist Assoc.) membership will cover anything I own including, bikes, cars, trailers. If more than 50 miles from home hotel and towing to a shop is taken care of. I like the fact they're protecting my other hobby, instead of trying to take another of my hobbies away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:22 am:

I grew up in the motel biz--Motel 6 would be my LAST choice anywhere. In most communities it is a drug haven and lots of low-life stay there. I used to stay at them, the last time, the front door had obviously been busted in and poorly patched, TV reception was terrible (this in Sacramento, CA--should have been excellent reception even with rabbit ears) it was so bad I wrote a letter to the headquarters. Got a coupon for two free stays--never used it though!
And yes, it's well-known that AARP doesn't really care about senior issues!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:03 am:

When I receive AARP mailings, I send it back to them in their prepaid envelope and tell them why I don't want any part of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:17 am:

PLEASE GUYS! Don't turn this thread into another barroom brawl about politics.

That said, do you think Motel 6 gives discounts to guys like me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:22 am:

When I stayed in motels I used to wear my uniform shirt from work and the folks behind the counter usually gave me the corporate rate without asking me any questions at all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Constantine,

Spot on ....

I usually stay at independent motels where a CDL or driver classification gets you some type of discount.

The only Motel 6 I ever stayed at that was dangerous was a couple of blocks from Disneyland in Anaheim, CA a few years ago.

Then again every motel in the area was unsafe - I left in the middle of the night.

I started this thread to point out a potentially valuable cost savings for fellow members - not to start a discussion on the merits of the organization offering it.

BTW - every Motel 6 I have ever stayed at - whether independent or franchised owned - does not offer " senior " or any other type of discount.

Only AARP & possibly AAA (not sure on AAA).

Every little bit helps nowadays .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:20 am:

AARP is a branch of the Democratic National Committee plain and simple! If you believe any different I have a bridge I'd like to sell you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:44 am:

I dropped AARP a few years ago, and joined AMAC which is the same kind of organization, except they have a conservative agenda. AMAC stands for Association of Mature American Citizens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

I'm with Jay and Lary. When AARP supported "Obama care" I dropped them !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

AARP just to far to the left for my liking. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Just talked to the relief manager at the local Motel 6--ran into him at the tool museum. He told me the local guy usually keeps one wing of the motel for the tourist trade and puts all the other "local gusts" in the other side. he told me that he suggested to the manager that he should sub-divide the motel to help the local police: one section for Crack dealers, one for Pot dealers, and one for molesters! I had no idea it was that bad, just knew it wasn't a place I'd send any friends to; better places at the same, or close to it, price around town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

My wife and I stayed at a Motel 6 last month. I have bad allergies and usually have fits in motel rooms due to dust mites. I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten a good night's sleep with no allergy symptoms at all. The place must have been very clean.

Now, about that business of copying your driver's license: The desk clerk was very apologetic and explained that they have a problem with prostitutes using the motel as a place of business. Not only did they copy my license, but my wife's as well. We were both sincerely complimented. We are both 73 years old and my wife was flattered that they thought she might be a "working girl". I felt like a new man because they thought I might be a "john".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Depends on where you are. One night we stayed at Stockton Ca and checked in before dark. We left and went to find a restaurant. Along the way, there were SWAT teams at various places. Last time we stay at Stockton! There is another place down the highway a few miles called Santa Nella, and we haven't had any problems there.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Thanks Larry,I had heard there was a alternative to Aarp and I appreciate the reminder now that I am headed down the hill at 50 next january.
When I heard about it the first time I was to young to be worried about it but now, that 10% looks Good!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Dick, I only harp about the requirement to make a photocopy of ones drivers license because of the risk it puts people for identity theft. Now a place that is frequented by criminals, by their own admission, has your drivers license number, birth date, and address handy for easy reference, in addition to now having your credit card information. That just makes things easier for an unscrupulous hotel clerk to use your personal information for their gain.

Additionally, it is a violation of Visa's merchant agreement for the merchant to make identification a condition of acceptance of your card, let alone keeping a photocopy on file.

In addition to my general objection to the practice, I later learned that Motel 6 franchises are sending their guest lists to the local police for them to review. My name isn't terribly uncommon and I refuse to put myself in a position of them potentially mistaking me for someone with an outstanding warrant and kicking in the door to my room while I sleep. Far-fetched? It wouldn't be the first time a warrant has been incorrectly executed. There are plenty of economy motels that don't do this and I'll stay there instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Norman,
YES, avoid Stockton after dark!!! Sad to say, but this is a well-known problem. Santa Nella is much better!
Walter, when my Niece and her husband went to Canada (they live in Seattle, so it's not "far away") the border patrol was looking for a drug dealer with his same name. Took a few minutes of checking addresses, birthplace, etc. before they could cross the border! So, your worry seems quite logical to me! (And his first name is quite unusual.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration