Removing tarnish from brass?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removing tarnish from brass?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:37 am:

What is the best way to remove tarnish from a brass windshield frame??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:47 am:

I have found Brite Boy is the fastest and easiest brass polish.
I just bought some Prism which guys here swore it's the best. I'm using it today on my '12 but on brass that is heavily tarnished it takes too much rubbing. I use the Brite Boy first then a second coat of the Prism or Mothers Billet to give a nice deep lustre shine.
You might find the Brite Boy at a janitor supply place.
If you can't send me an email if you want to try it.
I haven't found an easier polish for heavy tarnish but the shine isn't as good as some others so I use both sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:36 am:

Don't ! Let it get that beautiful, natural patina and enjoy it it in all it's glorious, stress-free ambiance !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:54 am:

This'll go the lengthy route of oil, etc. but for my two cents I like both Prism and Blue Magic. There's a product in a tin can with brass cleaning pads, can't remember the name, waste of money. They weakened the formula and they don't work worth crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woolf on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 07:13 am:

It looks to me as if the towbar is upside down as
are the swaybars. In this position the towing load is additive to the down load on the towbar.
This could easily cause such a failure. Most
towbars that I have seen have a warning about
making sure that the towbar is correctly installed.
Jim Woolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:20 am:

No, serial numbers were first stamped on frames December 12, 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Get a bottle of "the works" toilet bowl cleaner from WalMart. Rub it on with a rag--it removes the tarnish NOW. Than polish/ buff with your favorite brass polish. Works for me and I`m NOT fond of brass polishing----Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Paul's absolutely right, but use rubber gloves and wear eye protection and an apron. It will burn your skin and eat holes in your clothes if any little specks splash onto you. Don't ask how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

"The Works" might damage the brass so watch out. I used it to remove rust stains in a sink and it ate the lower rim on my wedding ring and made it crack.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

"The Works" is a hydrochloric acid solution.

It will take care of tarnish quickly. However, it reacts with the Zinc and will give brass a copper orange hue that must be polished off.

When you are done using "The Works," you may want to give the item a bath in baking soda and water.

My new favorite for cleaning brass is a bath in DIY clock cleaning solution: 1 cup of household ammonia, 1/2 cup of Murphy's Oil Soap (oleic acid) and 1 gallon of water. This is basically the same as Brasso minus the abrasive and water in lieu of petroleum distillate. Just clean the brass in a dishpan with the above solution. It leaves the brass a nice golden color. Follow with your favorite brass polish.

BEFORE:

AFTER DISASSEMBLED:

FINAL PRODUCT:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

When I started on my 15 a few years ago, I went to Sam's Club and bought a large plastic jar of ketchup. Really great for getting 90 years of patina off of smaller parts and getting them ready to polish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

I had to sand my Neverouts with #1200 grit paper and then polished them with Blue Magic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration