Buyer beware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Buyer beware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:20 am:

You are all big boys and know what you want to spend your money on so this is just a head's up, I'm not telling you to not bid. But this carburetor is not for a Model T Ford.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-carb-carburator-09-10-11-12/121983654592?_t rksid=p2060778.c100277.m3477&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D20150520070957%26meid%3D3903e9fa4621481c872af8f71673931c%26pid%3D100277%26 rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D311609267963

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Thanks Stan. Anyone who has ever tried to type out one of those ebay item addresses knows that it takes a lot of time and concentration. I have and it always takes me at least 4 tries until I get it right :-). Any idea what that carb goes to? Thanks again. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 03:34 am:

Jim - you shouldn't have to write down such a long web address and type it - all computers (and smartphones) have a copy and paste feature. On a Windows computer you copy the address by moving the cursor over it with the left mouse button pressed down so it turns blue, then press the right button and select "copy". When you're on the page where you want to paste the address, just click with the left button so there's a blinking I and then with the right button and choose "paste".
Easy - but not easy if noone has told you how :-)

The ebay addresses has lots of cruft in them coming from how you searched etc. Mostly they can be shortened to where the long item number ends with a question mark like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121983654592

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan M on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:42 am:

This isn't my ebay listing, but I have a carb like that. Does anyone know what it actually fits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I think maybe a Brush

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Here it is

jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I am trying to fiqure out how it hooks to the intake? Maby I need to go back to bed a few hours and rest and try to fiqure it out again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Mack, in Stan's large picture it looks like it's threaded where it fastens to the intake. Odd solutions in the early days :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:09 am:

This one is for a Brush. Note the air intake tube comes up into the inlet. Of course they may have used several different models or the guy I bought this from may be wrong about it but an exact match to this came on his Brush, he bought this one to use while his was being rebuild.

BTW, this was bought as "restored." I will redo it and fix all the crappy work on it before I put it up for sale. Note the bent pin in the adjuster, pitted pin in the drain, steel screws with incorrect style heads, bad solder job on the arm, etc. IMHO, wearing out a buffing wheel on the Brass is not a restoration. I haven't taken it apart but it probably has a Tecumseh carburetor needle and seat JB welded in. That will also go away.

Off to the shop..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Also note that the Brush model has a choke in the inlet tube and the one on ebay has a button to push the float down to flood the carb for starting.

That looks like a good enough carb and one I would be interested in for the right price if I didn't already have several of them but it is not for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Most of the early carbs that fit various makes of engines has pipe thread inlets. This one has 3/4 Imperial (US) pipe threads. See the pipe wrench marks on the inlets??

Some screwed directly on the engine manufacturer's manifold (Sears, Knox, many others) but most companies had a series of adapters for flanged intake manifold connections that screwed into the carb threads and allowed the carburetor to be mounted on a wide variety of engines with varying sized flanges. It was a very good idea for the time. I have quite a few of those flanges and have made several by cutting the flange off a Kingston POS L or L2 or L4 or ruined Holley G, etc., machine a Brass close nipple and braze it to the flange. Very easy way to fit a carb like this to an engine. I even have one of those running on an early T. The guy wanted a 5 ball but couldn't take the 15-1800 cost so we converted one to fit. Just made a flange and changed the adjuster knob. Some people would know but not many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Jim, to copy a listing just click on the ebay address at the top of the page and it will highlight. Press ctrl and "c" at the same time and it will copy. When you get where you want to post it click on the spot, then press ctrl and "V" (insert) and it will paste in that spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Stan - Interesting that the close-up photo in your "here it is" post shows what I guess I'd call a "notched quadrant" with what appears to be a spring-loaded ball detent, obviously intended to hold throttle position continuously for extended periods of time, as would be necessary for marine or stationary use.

As always, fantastic close-up photo by the way Stan,.....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration