Need to borrow your eyes. Correct orientation for 26/27 driveshaft tube.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need to borrow your eyes. Correct orientation for 26/27 driveshaft tube.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Got my 600w oil coming today and prepping my driveshaft tube prior to installation. Noticed a crease cup fitting on the U joint end and couldn't find a detailed reference to it to make sure if it goes facing down towards the ground or up towards the body. It is just in front of the radius rod nuts and lubes the driveshaft just aft of the U joint.
The other fitting I have a question about is a small bolt that screws into the ring at the differential end of the tube. My long bolts go through this collar to connect to the pmpkin, but there is a small bolt/drian plug that I presumes goes facing towards the ground to drain excess transmission oil. Or is it for something else on the 26/27 tube and does it face another direction.

I'll hang up and listen. Thank you in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

1 st question answer here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/138973.html?1274757692

Second question...someone else will direct you to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Original position is the grease cups (both - ujoint & d.s. bushing) face upward towards the floorboards as that is how one accesses them to lubricate although some like to access from the bottom as a means to expedite the process.

A photo of the part you are inquiring about secondly would be beneficial in addressing your question - it sounds like the sleeve retainer bolt on an earlier d.s. spool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

If you are using a closed bolt pinion bearing housing. the small bolt locks the bearing sleeve in place. You should be using a open bolt pinion bearing spool. these do not have a bolt or hole unless some one drilled it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I'll try to have my wife take a photo. I sent you down the wrong end of the shaft. The radius rods bolt to the tube near this grease cup and it faces up to allow access to it. Right in front of it is the collar that mounts the driveshaft to the hogshead, NOT the other end. This collar has a small bolt threaded into it that I presume faces down as a drain plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

They both face up, one is to lube the driveshaft and the other for the U-joint it is 1/4" ips, you can install a grease fitting if you want to, it makes it easier.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Thank you all. Makes sense.

TO THE GARAGE!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

The hole in the universal joint ball was originally placed at the top and the driveshaft front bushing grease fitting was at the top. It is possible to install the driveshaft housing 180 degrees with the holes at the bottom. So, place your grease cup in whichever direction the hole in the ball is located.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Interesting . . . actually 3 grease locations within a few inches of each other. The grease cup and fitting on the driveshaft tube near the connection to the hogshead, then a threaded hole for grease to the U joint or bearing and then another threaded hole in the mounting collar for the cup to the hogshead that covers the hole through the cup to insert and drive out the U joint pin. Presume this is to also grease the U joint. But no actual "fittings" on these two holes, just small short bolts threaded in to keep grease and oil in place.

Think I got it, now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

There are two threaded holes directly opposite each other on the tube, those holes are in line with the U-joint retaining pin.

There are hex head plugs that screw into those U-joint pin holes. If you don't have the hex head plugs, they are available from the vendors.

Here is a picture of the ball joint area of my Ruckstell rear axle, showing the hex head plugs, the two grease cups, and how the large grease cup is supposed to be on the same side as the driveshaft ball hole. When the rear ball retainer is bolted up to the back of the hogshead, the large grease cup and the hole in the ball line up, allowing grease from the large grease cup to go through the ball joint hole and fill the U-joint cavity.

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Just two spots up front on the drive shaft for grease...every 200 miles.

The little cup for the driveshaft bearing (in the photo the cup is replaced with a Zerk fitting.

And the big cup for the U-Joint, that U-Joint gets the most grease of anywhere on the Model T, that is why it has the largest grease cup too :-)

The hex head caps are just covers for the two access holes to the U- joint pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

OK, I think I got it, but still need some direction.

Coming from the differential end of the driveshaft tube, towards the U joint, I've got a fairly large grease cup that I presume greases the bearing.
Then I've got two plugs that are threaded on opposite sides of the tube that I presume just cover the access holes to the U joint pin. No grease or oil in there directly.
The thirds hole is located on the collar that connect the tube cup to the hogshead and it alligns with a hole in the cup to pack grease into the U joint itself. Right now there is nothing in the hole as far as a grease cup or fitting. It is threaded and is the same thread as the two plugs for the U joint pin. I got a bolt the same thread and cut it short and was just going to plug this hole after packing the U joint and cup by hand. But this will make it very difficult to add more grease as once I remove the bolt, it is just a hole.

Looking at the vendor catalogues, it seems that all the grease cup fittings are 1/4" thread. But my hole is threaded the same size as the access holes for the U joint pin, at least 3/8" or even larger, fine thread.

I presume some sort of grease fitting needs to go into this collar for future grease. What part am I'm looking for?

Sorry to drag this out, but I don't want to revisit this operation again once I get it complete and mounted back on the T. This tube, again, is on a 26/27 if that is a variable.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

The u-joint collar uses the large, 1/4 pipe grease cup - the d.s. busing uses a smaller, 1/8 pipe grease cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Fantastic.

TO THE INTERNET!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

The photo that Dan posted shows a Zerk for the front d.s. bushing. It should have a standard small grease cup, like the two on your axle housings. My suggestion is to obtain an original Ford Service Book. Originals are available on used book sites, but repros are sold by all the vendors. Get one, then you won't have so many questions!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Hi Bob.
Did you catch the post three above mine when Steve talks about the large grease cup going to the universal joint and the smaller grease cup going to the drive shaft bushing.
You are quite correct that the two plugs that are across from each other are only for universal joint to the drive shaft pin installation and removal.

May I say this Bob?
Bob's eyesight is limited and even our posts can mess up his reader for the internet. Smiley face here. :-)

Bob. I am happy to see you are getting so close on this project!
I cannot wait to see the final pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Alright. I am aching to see that fifty caliber gun mounted on a working Ford T.
Big smiley face right here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration