Turtle Deck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Turtle Deck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Where did this term originate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Beats me. Years ago when I got interested in Model T's I had a older friend who had a 22 Roadster. I wanted one also and finally found the remains of a body. He told me that the turtle deck was hard to find. I finally found a nice one for 75.00. The guy I bought it from called it a turtle deck also. That was in the 70's. Just a nick name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I thought they were named "Turtle deck" because of the early cars had the back end rounded like a turtle shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Those may be fighting words to some...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

They were called turtledecks as early as the late '50s in the hotrod magazines, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Just curious, is that roadster a wide track? Zoomed in on the rear fenders and they do look wider which also makes me think the axle is wider. I don't know but thought I'd through it out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:57 am:

I don't have a T body parts book. Did Ford list a description of it in its publications? What did Ford call it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:04 am:

I just found a May 15, 1926 body parts list at a swap meet yesterday. It's called "Deck assy" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:14 am:

My Grandfolks called the trunk on their '50 Ford a turtle. I expect that carried over from Model T days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:22 am:

I was in line at a store last week when the cashier and the woman in front of me were talking of their aging mothers with dementia. The cashier said when taking her mother to the Dr, the mother kept telling her to put the walker in the turtle deck--the cashier said she was always making up her own names like that! I took that opportunity to explain about the turtle deck. She realized that the 95 year old lady wasn't crazy and making up new names for things, she was merely thinking back to the times of her youth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Mike - And yet most of us (including todays kids) call it the trunk! And guess what that's a carry-over from,....???

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration