Best used tow vehicle in the USA for under $10K with 20+MPG ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Best used tow vehicle in the USA for under $10K with 20+MPG ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

What are you towing ? I use an 86 Toyota 4x4 for my towing, but I would not dream of towing anything
very heavy. I use a long tongue open frame trailer that can haul a 50's vintage car body or similar. I put
the whole set up together quite intentionally, as I wanted long gas mileage (26.1mpg towing a 59 DeSoto
and trailer home from S.F.) and versatility/maneuverability (that long tongue allows me to haul 30' lumber).

The kicker is, that 22r 4 banger only has so much power (sound familiar ?) and I drag steep grades in 1st
gear at 10mph and am generally at the mercy of whatever driving conditions I encounter. Not that I care.
I accept the set up as it is. It serves me well, and if those behind me don't like it, they can flog their mule
to get around me and knock their fuel economy down to zero. When not towing, the truck will go just about
anywhere I point it, and it gets terrific mpg's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Any Ford Expedition of the past 8 yrs will pull a 6/7,000 lb load at acceptable speeds and torque. They can be bought very reasonable. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Yea, but who would ever be caught driving a Ford??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

More like 8 mpg pulling a trailer with a T in it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Volkswagen Touaregs can pull 7700 pounds and the diesels get good mileage. I pull a 24-foot aluminum closed trailer with two not-too-big antiques (my biggest load is a Model T and a small Stanley). I get 13-14 mpg pulling the trailer, about 28 mpg without the trailer, and can go faster than any sane person ought to go - even uphill! I don't know what used diesel Touaregs are going for these days, but until VW announces how it's going to cure its cheating problem, I suspect there are bargains available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

The old 7.3 power stroke can be had in a large number of Fords.The Dodge that used the old Cummings would get good millage and you would not have to worry which way the wind is blowing!! Depends,How high are your standards?? What do you consider safe?? Where are you going to haul and what roads will you use?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Sorry, we're talking about a tow vehicle for a Model T on a trailer. Age not too important but must be reliable and not rusted out, and cost under $10K, done less than 100K miles, and can do better than 20mpg when not towing. Something with aircon and ABS brakes would be a good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Not really understanding your goal, but a cheap answer would be a 1/2 ton truck. Remove the box and build a simple flatbed deck. Add a couple of ramps and perhaps a electric winch. Easy to drive and park. Good fuel economy with a V6. When your finished either put the box back on or sell as is. If weather protection is needed then some steel pipe "bows" and a fitted tarp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Don't be sorry,be safe!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

I would go with a half-ton Chevy or GMC with a 5.3L. Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon.

Your gas milage will be 17-18 on the highway, but it will handle towing much better than a anything that does get 20mpg.

New ones do get 20 mpg, but the ones you'll find under $10k will not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

I bought a used 2002 Excursion with the V10 Titan engine. I get 9 to 10 mpg pulling and cannot feel the load. A great improvement over using a PU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

If you do decide to pony up for new, GM just released the most fuel efficient trucks in the world. The GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado with Duramax Diesel. 45 mpg while not towing. Tow capacity is 7700 lbs. I have the GMC version in the top of the line SLT trim. I will be trailer testing it next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Jim
I had a V10 (2004). I put a Banks "chip" in it. Best money I've spent. Picked up power and about 4 mpg average!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Stay away from any of the VW crap.
I work full time on those cars.
The book gives us 11 hours to change the thermostat! On a Toureg.
Everything is expensive and hard to do.
I've trailered a few old Fords with several 4 cylinder and v6 powered. Van, cars and pickups.
A 3 liter Aerostar will do the job but a 3.8 Chrysler, dodge caravan or windstar will do it faster and get decent mileage.
I had a 4.3 astrovan that was waaaay over powered, and got 13 mph empty.
Get something you can use for other errands too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

I have a 2016 Ford Expedition, v6 turbo. She gets 19/20 mpg,hwy, no load and 60/65 mph. With Ole Black in my enclosed trailer I get 12/14 mpg. MPG's are calculated the old fashion way, miles, gallons, pencil and paper. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

KE = 1/2(MV^2) is more important then gas mileage. This is how I chose my tow vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Stay away from any of the VW crap.
I work full time on those cars.
The book gives us 11 hours to change the thermostat! On a Toureg.
Everything is expensive and hard to do.
I've trailered a few old Fords with several 4 cylinder and v6 powered. Van, cars and pickups.
A 3 liter Aerostar will do the job but a 3.8 Chrysler, dodge caravan or windstar will do it faster and get decent mileage.
I had a 4.3 astrovan that was waaaay over powered, and got 13 mph empty.
Get something you can use for other errands too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 06:34 am:

95-99 12valve cummins diesel 2500 Dodge. 24mpg on the hwy. Paid@5000 for mine. 96 was the last year without a computer controlling auto trans.
I love mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:44 am:

I had a small V8 4.3L but struggled on the hills - almost didn't make it back over the Baker Grade coming back from Vegas in the summer. So I went looking for a bigger tow vehicle. I have been very happy with my 2004 Lincoln Navigator 5.4L. Plenty of power to pull my open 12' trailer with either my Roadster or Coupe. It has plenty of space and payload to be loaded with 2 trailer spares, trailer box, toolbox, full floor jack in a case, 2 ex-large wheel chocks, jug-o-oil, 5 lb fire extinguisher, folding chairs, extra tiedowns, case of water, boxes of other bit & pieces, the seat from the Roadster, and luggage (and a partridge-in-a-pear-tree). With plenty of room left over. Highway I get 15-17+ mpg during the day and when it's hot out; and 17-19+ mpg at night or in cooler weather with a 400+ mile range. Solid 14-15+ mpg with a trailer and loaded with a 350+ mile range. Purchase last year was 7500. One catalytic converter broke apart and had to be replaced but engine has been great. I am totally comfortable with its size/mass if the trailer needs to be stopped. The real test will be Montana next month but I think it will be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:47 am:

I sure don't know much about towing so just throwing this out there. If you are pulling an open trailer with a T on it, wouldn't any big V8 Sedan do just fine? You can buy a really clean older car like that for way under 10. I bought a 95 Lexus LS400 with 90,000 miles last year for 6500. Wouldn't such a car work just fine for towing a T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:33 am:

John
A thing to be cautious about is "the manufacturers rated towing capacity ". Every vehicle I have seen made in the last 30 years has a rated towing capacity. And some jurisdictions are REALLY sticky about this and probably most insurance companies. The province of BC is really really sticky on this. I know of people who have been caught pulling small 5th wheel holiday trailers with a half ton and been fined and forced to hire a tow truck if the gross weight exceeds the manufacturers ratings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Philip, did you actually have a message in that formula?

We don't need a physics lesson either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:56 am:

89 dodge cummins, manual trans, no computer, 22-26 mpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 11:22 am:

If i translate into red neck i think Philip's post means never let the tail wag the dog!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I bought a 95 f-250 7.3 turbo diesel single cab long bed for $1900.00 Replaced the engine total cost $5500 + change pull anything I want:-) body was super straight I was willing to do the work though :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Yes, there is message, you should buy a tow vehicle that has the mass and braking capabilities to stop safely in an emergency condition. Not based on gas mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Thanks guys for your replies.

One question; what's the approx. overall weight of say a Model T touring on a light trailer...more than 2000Ibs? I ask because I like the 2008-09 Ford Taurus X wagon, which are rated at 2000lbs. Is this a viable option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

No. A T pretty well weighs 2000# by itself. Better figure at least 1000# for a single axle trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Les, I thought an open T was about 1250 but even so you're right I guess; finding a trailer that's less than 750 to stay below 2000 will not be easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

A few years ago on a tour we all drove over a self-weigh scale. The lightest car was about 1700# and a 4 door was up around 2200#. Sure you could build a speedster down close to 1200. Many years ago I built a really "bare bones " single axle trailer that probably only weighed 400#. You can buy a 2000# axle with brakes and build a very light trailer. But I'm really sceptical about getting all in at 2000#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Weights:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wghts

I suppose one should add a few pounds for accumulated grease, dirt, grime, and added accessories.

That Taurus thought may give you some unpleasant experiences. But then again, after all you've done, what would be unpleasant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Think I've found it. One of these 2009 babies fitted with the v6 and the tow package allows 3500lbs towing (enough for a T on light trailer) and gives 25mpg highway when not towing:

http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/09_venza.pdf

Will cost slightly over the $10k though. What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Best to get the trailer and T and weigh the load to tow.

Here is Ford's 1920's Weights

Today for tours, the T is loaded with a few spares, tools, spare tire, etc. My guess is the '27 Touring is up to around 2,000lbs easy.

The trailer is a 14' alum. 4 wheel, elec. brakes, and it is right at 1,000lbs with spare tire.

So, my tow is likely a tad over 3,000lbs.

Then figure what load your tow vehicle will carry, passengers, luggage, etc. as that adds to the total too.

My new hauler is now a '14 Ford F-150 4x4, with 5.0 V8, and all the creature comforts. For me hauling with a pickup, rear wheel drive is nice.

The best is the big video screen in the dash, with backup camera that points right at the hitch when you back up.

Today loaded this trailer full of parts for the Luray Swap meet, and lined up the hitch in a jiffy. Just watched the camera, backed up, got out and snapped the Bulldog hitch shut! So easy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:09 am:

Just to be clear, I agree with everyone that a large SUV or truck would be a better tow vehicle than a Venta or Taurus X. Apart from fuel economy, the problem is I don't think I'm going find a large SUV that's under $10K AND has less than 100K miles; if I did find I'd for sure consider it. I don't want to buy something with 200K miles then 6 months later have to replace the transmission or engine. There's a reason why most people get rid of their cars before they get to 200K miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:33 am:

My 2000 F250 7.3 diesel 6spd manual has 480,000 km. still going strong. ,'81 F 150 351m automatic with 190,000 km still going strong. Both are original. '96 Taurus SHO 225,000 km as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I have an '05 Dakota, 4.7 V-8, 6 speed standard trans, crew cab, nice truck but a gutless wonder. Don't buy one of these if you want to pull anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Try looking at a 2wd halfton, prices look reasonable for a truck on craigslist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Where are you going to be driving?
that should make the difference.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Constantine - another place to look is government auctions. My 2004 Silverado that I had came from a government auction. Plain jane, but it had A/C. 2wd, 5.3 extended cab long box. Pulled my 18 foot enclosed just fine, and was decent on gas. Truck had very low mileage and was maintained properly.
Best part was the price. $5500 and all it needed was front pads and rotors to pass the safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

That government auction thing got me thinking - I wonder which option for a government fleet is cheaper in the long run?

1) Buy new vehicles and keep them running for a long time with a hired maintenance staff

2) Buy new vehicles and replace them on a relatively short time schedule so that you don't need to hire and pay a maintenance staff

Can anyone in the business comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Where is Steve on this one?
He would tell us to get an old suburban and use the leftover money to purchase gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Mark, I think it depends on what the vehicles are used for. Mine was a department of defence vehicle. Was 8 years old and had only 120,000 km. I know that the game warden trucks are pretty beat after 3 or four years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Wanna tow ?

Do it right .....

Ford F-350
7.3 Powerstroke Diesel

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration