What is this for

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is this for
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

what is this spring for on the tie rods, I never saw it on any other T's and its wearing out the spindle arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

anti rattler, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Correction... its wearing grooves in the arms where they are rubbing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

They make excellent wall hangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Ive not driven the car yet, do the tie rods tend to rattle Bob, are they a common part I don't see them on any part sites

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

They're a Band-Aid sometimes used to mask wobbly steering instead of fixing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

They do more harm than good, i.e. wearing grooves in the forgings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

OK guys Thanks, I got the linkage tight so they're going in the garbage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

So that's how you use them... always wondered about the set up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Those wire type anti-rattle / stiffeners will wear away the knuckle as the wire is hardened spring steel.

But these types, with broad flat spring steel fit well, do the job and don't wear notches, if you add some oil or grease too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Hey Dan you must have a stack of old car magazines
to pull all these old advertisements out of? keep it up, I love it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:49 am:

Doug don't throw them away ...send them to me.
I will put them in the display I'm putting together for car shows so people can see types of auto accessories that were used "back in the day". I'll be happy to pay the postage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration