Advice on where to get a vintage radiator restored? De-soldered, de-dented, cleaned.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Advice on where to get a vintage radiator restored? De-soldered, de-dented, cleaned.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Neilson on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Hello,

I am looking for information on a quality vintage radiator repair company that can repair two of my radiators.

It has been hard to find a service here in Vancouver BC that is willing to work on anything old so I thought I'd see if anyone can shed some light on a good service in the States.

The first is a 1913 brass T rad, needs some cracks repaired on shell and core, and the second is a prewar MG rad off a J2. The latter needs to be de-soldered, cleaned out, de-dented, straightened, and re-assembled, hopefully for a fair price.

Any help is much appreciated,

Harry
hhneilson@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:47 am:

TOMíS RADIATOR SERVICE
2341 184th Road
Sabetha
KS 66534
(785) 284-2080
tomnolte@sbcglobal.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Neilson on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:20 am:

Thanks, this is a good start. Have any people had good experiences at other shops that work specifically on vintage/veteran rads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Universal Carnegie

http://ucvintagerad.com/

They did a re-core and repaired upper and lower outlet on my rare Autowa radiator. The core used was a more modern heater type, but they made a veneer cut off the face of the original custom square shape honeycomb type core. Put that 1/4 thick cut over the new core, and disguised it so well, hard to tell at a glance.

Many older hex or square honeycomb cores are hard to or almost impossible to make new.

And my local guy, retired and went out of business, he did 3 T radiators for me in the past, but now, am out to dry. No one rebuilds them around me, just have to purchase new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:07 am:

If your T radiator is an original thats never had a recore be prepared to recore it. Age catches up on original T radiators. The cost of having a quality repair job may be close to what a new one would cost. Shipping costs will have a good dent so that's more money to consider.

If its still cooling it still may be OK for a while yet but if its borderline in that area it would be something to consider.

Been there and done that with a Black era radiator.
I couldn't find anyone close here in Central Texas to change the core. The closest one I could find that worked on old car radiators would recore mine for 400.00 but it was a 3 row.
I went ahead and bought a new Bergs. Spent a little more but it was well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Harry
I sent you an PM email the other day
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Some cooling comments here: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration