Clean tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clean tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

I came home from the swap meet today and started 26 roadster p/u and changed the oil. After that added fuel and took off. I got about 2 miles from home and it spit and sputtered to a stop. I checked the electrical connections and walked home with my dog and got my truck and pulled it back home. Took the fuel system apart and the filter was clogged with rust.Oh and when it spit and sputtered it blew the starter cover loose and oil when everywhere. The previous owner forgot to tighten it up. My question is what's the best way to clean the tank. I have a really good one but I want to clean it and use tank liner in it. The kind you seal up motorcycle tanks. So it doesn't rust again. Thanks in advance. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

I think Lilleker reconditions the 26/27 tanks. They take it apart and do all that is necessary. To me it is the best option. No one is making new tanks for those years. http://mrmodelt.com/restoration-services/general-services/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Tim
Another forum member and I just worked over a 1929 Ford A tank. It was plugging the fuel line every 15 or so miles. We pulled the tank, washed it with acetone to remove old gas and clean the inside and them dried it.
Next step was to to fill the tank to the VERY top with a very dilute phosphoric acid mixture.
I hope I got that right, I'm pretty sure it was phosphoric acid. Left it in the tank for 2 days and then drained it and dried it out with a heat gun to remove any moisture.
The next step was to remove as much loose scale as possible. put a shop vac suction hose into one opening, added compressed air through another opening and tumbled the tank until we we tired.
I had in the meantime purchased from CASWELL Plating their gas tank sealing kit for a 10 gallon tank. It is a two-part epoxy that has to be mixed and applied within 20 minutes.
Don't have the tank back in the A yet as we just finished the sealing operation this afternoon, but so far the results are fantastic and I am confident that the problems are solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:52 am:

Talk to local Rad shops, There are some in B'ham that did do it. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration